[comp.sys.next] swap space on 105M system

dwatola@YODA.EECS.WSU.EDU (David Watola) (01/16/91)

two for the price of one---

tgingric@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Tyler S Gingrich) writes:

>I don't think the 105Mb systems have a LOT (eg 40Mb) used for swap.  I would
>expect ~ 8Mb of swap space.  Various folks on the Net have posted a lot of
>ways to crunch/archive the 105Mb & get a "more useful configuration".

>  1) How much disk space is free on the system when it's delivered?
>
>  2) How much disk is set aside for swap.
>
>  3) What is a good amount of swap space on a single-user system.
>     (Anyone done some performance testing with different memory configurations
>     and various swap areas -- what's a good compromise??)

my nextstation initializes at 20Megs of swap space, in /private/vm/swapdisk, i
believe.  and it grows from there.  with only 8 megs of ram, it swaps quite
a bit.

mwu@teri.bio.uci.edu writes:

>Does anyone know how the keymapping files work? Or where to go to find out how
>they work? I thought I could live with this keyboard, but the more things
>I do with my computer, the less I like it.

yeah, the new keyboard sucks.  to remap the keyboard, run the keymapping
application (its name escapes me right now, and i am not at a NeXT).  redefining
a keymap with it is trivial--the HELP covers its use well.  the only 'tricky'
part is installing the keyboard.  first, you must save the keymap in
(this could be slightly wrong--but it is easy to double check) either
/NextLibrary/Keyboards, /LocalLibrary/Keyboards, or ~/Library/Keyboards.
Then, that keyboard mapping will be listed when you run Preferences and you
can select it.

I haven't tried it yet, but i believe you can use this program to change
control-key mappings and get kermit to work without changing the escape
character.