[comp.sys.next] DialUpIP

ben@bucsf.bu.edu (Ben Cline) (01/15/91)

For those of you out there interested in SLIP I have found the location
of the source for the binary DialUpIP. It is available from bbn.com (via ftp)
the name of the file is Dialup2.0.tar.Z Good Luck.

                             ben@bucsf.bu.edu
Benjamin Cline                                "Chase your dreams, I always
700 Commonwealth Ave, Box 1087                say"- Lola Granola
Boston, MA 02215

All thoughts are mine- for $20K a year BU can damned well get their own!

tempest@walleye.uucp (Kenneth K.F. Lui) (01/16/91)

In article <72313@bu.edu.bu.edu> ben@bucsf.bu.edu (Ben Cline) writes:
>For those of you out there interested in SLIP I have found the location
>of the source for the binary DialUpIP. It is available from bbn.com (via ftp)
>the name of the file is Dialup2.0.tar.Z Good Luck.

Alas, from the description found in the archive, one needs the
kernel source in order to compile Dialup IP 2.0.  I haven't tried
installing it yet, however.  Just a warning.

Ken
tempest@ecst.csuchico.edu, tempest@walleye.ecst.csuchico.edu,|Kenneth K.F. Lui|
tempest@sutro.sfsu.edu, tempest@wet.UUCP                     |________________|

In article <1991Jan15.193722.10252@ecst.csuchico.edu>
	tempest@walleye.UUCP (Kenneth K.F. Lui) writes:
>In article <72313@bu.edu.bu.edu> ben@bucsf.bu.edu (Ben Cline) writes:
>>For those of you out there interested in SLIP I have found the location
>>of the source for the binary DialUpIP. It is available from bbn.com (via ftp)
>>the name of the file is Dialup2.0.tar.Z Good Luck.
>
>Alas, from the description found in the archive, one needs the
>kernel source in order to compile Dialup IP 2.0.

Yes and no.  First of all, this is not a NeXT package--the 2.0
is BBN's version number.

In yesterday's announcement to comp.protocols.tcp-ip,

In article <3212@litchi.bbn.com> rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) writes:
>Bolt Beranek and Newman, Inc., and CREN/CSNET are pleased to announce the
>first public release of Dialup IP.  The code works in binary-only
>BSD-derived sytems; we have installed it on Ultrix3.x systems, 4.3BSD
>systems, and Sun's running 3.5.

the "binary-only BSD-derived systems" only means that this
package represents kernel _additions_ and not _changes_, hence
kernel sources aren't required *provided that* one has the
object libraries necessary to relink the kernel.  On all the
systems cited, this is the case.  (I do note in passing that
Ultrix3.x, 4.3BSD, and SunOS 3.5 are all obsolete versions!)

NeXT takes a different approach with Mach--the kernel executable
is frozen, and a kernel loader can be used to dynamically load
and unload kernel servers.

Any volunteers willing to do the work and contribute it back to
BBN for inclusion in subsequent releases?  If so, send a note to
dialupip-request@sh.cs.net.  If you're "just an end-user" please
don't bother them with inquiries.

					-=EPS=-