[comp.sys.next] WordPerfect

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (01/17/91)

In article <SHAWN.91Jan15065306@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu> shawn@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Shawn Broderick) writes:
>Is Word Perfect shipping yet?
>Having the world's most popular word processor on
>the NeXT will make a lot of people happy.

Don't count on it.  WordPerfect on the Macintosh is absolute trash;
who knows how useful the NeXT version will be?

Those with offices full of DOS machines that HAVE it have it as a "checklist"
item might be happy, though.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

tgingric@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Tyler S Gingrich) (01/17/91)

In article <1991Jan16.185529.17040@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:
>In article <SHAWN.91Jan15065306@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu> shawn@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Shawn Broderick) writes:
>>Is Word Perfect shipping yet?
>>Having the world's most popular word processor on
>>the NeXT will make a lot of people happy.
>
>Don't count on it.  WordPerfect on the Macintosh is absolute trash;
>who knows how useful the NeXT version will be?

Actually, the NeXT version of WordPerfect is NOTHING like the Macintosh
version.  When WP wrote Mac-WP they basically brought PC-WP over to the Mac
and FORGOT to "buy-in" to the Macintosh philosophy.  Ashton-Tate did this
with dBase Mac too -- you got to run a DOS-like application on your Mac --
what a great deal!!

I've seen WordPerfect for the NeXT (at least a Beta version) and I would
compare it's operation/interface to Word-for-Windows rather than WP.  It's
a graphical WYSIWYG word-processing/DTP environment and is pretty slick
for a product from WordPerfect Corp.  WordPerfect appears to have "bought-in"
to the NeXT way of doing business.

Tyler

PS: I know WordPerfect is not, but please don't cast disparagement on a
product which you haven't seen yet.

alandail@applelink.apple.com (Alan Dail) (01/17/91)

In article <1991Jan16.185529.17040@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>,
dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:
> In article <SHAWN.91Jan15065306@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu> shawn@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Shawn Broderick) writes:
> >Is Word Perfect shipping yet?
> >Having the world's most popular word processor on
> >the NeXT will make a lot of people happy.
>
> Don't count on it.  WordPerfect on the Macintosh is absolute trash;
> who knows how useful the NeXT version will be?
>
> Those with offices full of DOS machines that HAVE it have it as a "checklist"
> item might be happy, though.

I just saw WordPerfect 2.0 for the Macintosh at the MacWorld expo last week.
They have gone from having the worst word processor on the mac to what appears
to be the best.  They completely redesigned the user interface for 2.0 on the
mac and the version for the NeXT.

Alan

--
Alan Dail
NASA/Langley Research Center

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) (01/17/91)

/ comp.sys.next / dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) / Jan 16, 1991 /
> WordPerfect on the Macintosh is absolute trash;
> who knows how useful the NeXT version will be?

I just came back from a demo of WordPerfect for NeXT (at an rmNUG meeting).
It is a VERY nice product.  I didn't play with it myself, but the guy
demoing it was swamped with questions from the group, and the demonstration
was quite thorough.

Jacob
--
Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob