[comp.sys.next] Mathematica? Webster?

shmuli@SHUM.HUJI.AC.IL (Shmuel Browns) (01/14/91)

    We're thinking about getting a NeXT machine and I wanted to check whether
it could be used by others remotely to run Mathematica.  We have Mathematica
running on a Sun workstation and I can log into the Sun and run it (of course
I don't get the PostScript graphics, just terminal graphics) or access it from
the Macintosh front-end over a serial connection (9600bps) or ethernet via
TCP/IP (I imagine also via a AppleTalk to Ethernet gateway like a FastPath).
Obviously, the second solution is much better.
    What I need to know (since I don't have a NeXT available) is whether I can
run the Mac front-end to the Mathematica kernel running on the NeXT (the version
of Math. on the Mac for instance doesn't let anyone else access the kernel).
    Does the command mathremote exist on the NeXT?  To run the Mac front-end
I first log into the machine running the kernel and type mathremote and then
return to the Mac and tell it to continue talking to the remote kernel.

    Along the same lines, can the reference material, Webster's dictionary,
thesaurus, Shakespeare, quotations be accessed via users who have telnetted to
NeXT?  Is there any other way? - I remember reading something about a Webster
server.

    Thanks,
         Shmuel
 ---
Shmuel Browns, Macintosh & Unix Technical Support          VOICE: +972-2-585669
  MAIL: Computer Centre, Taylor Bldg, Hebrew University, Jerusalem 91904 ISRAEL
  BITNET: SHMULI@HUJINIX   INTERNET: shmuli@shum.huji.ac.il  FAX: +972-2-527349

--
 ---

ags@seaman.cc.purdue.edu (Dave Seaman) (01/15/91)

In article <shmuli.663837584@shum> shmuli@SHUM.HUJI.AC.IL (Shmuel Browns) writes:
>    What I need to know (since I don't have a NeXT available) is whether I can
>run the Mac front-end to the Mathematica kernel running on the NeXT (the version
>of Math. on the Mac for instance doesn't let anyone else access the kernel).

Yes, you can access the NeXT Mathematica kernel from a Mac.  I have done it
using a dialup connection, but the manual for the Mac version mentions that
you can also do it over a network if you have the right software.  You are
right in saying that it is a one-way street -- you can't access the Mac
Mathematica kernel from a remote machine.

>    Does the command mathremote exist on the NeXT?  To run the Mac front-end
>I first log into the machine running the kernel and type mathremote and then
>return to the Mac and tell it to continue talking to the remote kernel.

Yes.  Try "man mathremote" on a NeXT.  Using the Mathematica front end on the
Mac, you can open a terminal window and use it to log on to a remote machine
and then use the "mathremote" command to start up the remote kernel.  Then you
can close the terminal window and return to what looks like normal operation
on the Mac.

>    Along the same lines, can the reference material, Webster's dictionary,
>thesaurus, Shakespeare, quotations be accessed via users who have telnetted to
>NeXT?  Is there any other way? - I remember reading something about a Webster
>server.

I don't know of any way to do that.

--
Dave Seaman
ags@seaman.cc.purdue.edu

ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) (01/16/91)

On 14-Jan-91 in Re: Mathematica? Webster?
user Dave Seaman@seaman.cc.pu writes:
>>    Along the same lines, can the reference material, Webster's dictionary,
>>thesaurus, Shakespeare, quotations be accessed via users who have
telnetted to
>>NeXT?  Is there any other way? - I remember reading something about a Webster
>>server.

There is a publicly available program called 'define' that lets you
access Digital Webster from the typescript or from a telnet session

[Bogus "comp" distribution removed]
In article <wbYvyNu00WBLM4FpFT@andrew.cmu.edu>
	ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) writes:
>There is a publicly available program called 'define' that lets you
>access Digital Webster from the typescript or from a telnet session

...which needs be be linked against a library that's reportedly
not shipped with 2.0, and in any case is neither as flexible nor
as fast as the client/server version.

The server is available from iuvax.cs.indiana.edu [129.79.254.192]
as pub/webster/NeXT-websterd.shar.Z

There are two divergent versions of the UNIX client:

webster-client.shar on iuvax offers access to more server features.

pub/webster.tar.Z on wolvesden.stanford.edu [36.8.0.179] is
"better code" and will work on System V-derived machines (with
sockets, not TLI) as well as BSD-derived systems.  It also
includes an emacs client.

(Someone should look into reconciling these...)

Please note that RFC 1060 "blesses" port 765 for webster, which
should be used instead of the 103 or 2627 in the above versions.

BTW, since I'm still waiting for NeXT to ship us 2.0, I would be
interested in hearing if my icrwebster (which displays the TIFF
illustrations on Mac IIs with NCSA Telnet) still works.

					-=EPS=-
--
Digital Webster doesn't know the meaning of the word "backorder."

sahayman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Steve Hayman) (01/17/91)

>The server is available from iuvax.cs.indiana.edu [129.79.254.192]
>as pub/webster/NeXT-websterd.shar.Z

I wrote this.

To forestall the inevitable questions - this daemon doesn't work
with 2.0 yet, but as soon as we get 2.0 here I will make it work
and publish either patches or a new version.

The format of the Webster database changed drastically with 2.0.
It used to be simple at 1.0 - the index file was a simple list of words and
byte-offsets into the actual dictionary file, and it wasn't
too hard to parse the dictionary file entries either (especially if
you had a copy of the real 9th New Collegiate Dictionary handy.)
There was also a "libtext" library that simplified access
to it (although my websterd didn't use it, since I wrote it for
an 0.9 machine before libtext was available.)

Now, it's all based on B-tree's and it's not the sort of format you can
puzzle out just by staring at it, and libtext isn't included with the
OS any more.  If you ask NeXT nicely they will send you the appropriate
btree and libtext libraries.    So I don't anticipate any problems
coming up with a 2.0 version of websterd; it might not happen until
late February though.  I'll post a note when I get it all tidied up.

Steve
--
Steve Hayman    Workstation Manager    Computer Science Department   Indiana U.
sahayman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu                                    (812) 855-6984