[comp.sys.next] tar

madler@pooh.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (01/17/91)

(I tried to send this directly, but the mail bounced.  Sorry to those bored
with the whole tar thing.)

In article <1991Jan16.221406.1979@csn.org!datran2> smb@csn.org!datran2 writes:
>In fact I have seen the behavior as a normal user.  One recent ftp tar
>archive that I extracted created a subdirectory owned by a uid not defined
>on my system and with no write permission for group or other.  tar then

Really?  How normal a user were you (what groups)?  How can tar do this?

It doesn't sound good--chown() should fail if you're not the superuser.

Mark Adler
madler@pooh.caltech.edu

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (01/17/91)

madler@pooh.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) writes:

>Really?  How normal a user were you (what groups)?  How can tar do this?
>It doesn't sound good--chown() should fail if you're not the superuser.

	Not necessarily. Numerous implementations allow an ordinary user to
give away his files through chown. Existing tar variants typically distinguish
between actions by a superuser and actions by an ordinary user. The "p" and
"o" options are not universally supported. I wrote a brief report years ago
on how one might be bitten by tar restorations - after we ourselves had been
bitten - under System III and V.