[comp.sys.next] Animation Surges??

reid@ss6.cps.msu.edu (Dr Richard J. Reid) (01/16/91)

In doing a sample animation (using DPSDoUserPath)
the output surges.  That is, the display server
only updates the screen maybe every 1/3 of a second
or so.  When it does, it gives a burst of the motions
recently sent out.  This gives a "surging" look.

I can't find what to do to get the Display Server
to flush out things right away, as opposed to
apparently "batching" them.

Thanks for any help.

Dick

PS:  I've read the "Making Your App Fly", but I don't see
it in there; possibly something I didn't recognize when
I saw it.

aozer@next.com (Ali Ozer) (01/16/91)

In article <1991Jan15.211817.29787@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> Dr Richard J. Reid writes:
>In doing a sample animation (using DPSDoUserPath) the output surges. ...
>I can't find what to do to get the Display Server to flush out things right
>away, as opposed to apparently "batching" them.

Use NXPing() after you draw each frame.

Ali (Ali_Ozer@NeXT.com)

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (01/16/91)

In article <1991Jan15.211817.29787@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> reid@ss6.cps.msu.edu (Dr Richard J. Reid) writes:
>I can't find what to do to get the Display Server
>to flush out things right away, as opposed to
>apparently "batching" them.

Check out PSflushgraphics() and NXPing().

.
.
.
.

--
 Glenn Reid				RightBrain Software
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		NeXT/PostScript developers

simsong@daily-bugle.media.mit.edu (Simson L. Garfinkel) (01/17/91)

In article Animation Surges??
of : Michigan State University, East Lansing writes:
I can't find what to do to get the Display Server
to flush out things right away, as opposed to
apparently "batching" them.

Thanks for any help.

Dick

TRY NXPing();

pts@mendel.acc.Virginia.EDU (Paul T. Shannon) (01/18/91)

In article <SCOTT.91Jan16125649@mcs-server.gac.edu> scott@mcs-server.gac.edu (Scott Hess) writes:
>In article <1991Jan15.211817.29787@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> reid@ss6.cps.msu.edu (Dr Richard J. Reid) writes:
>   In doing a sample animation (using DPSDoUserPath)
>   the output surges.
>
>First, use NXPing() after each section of code.

Can anyone comment on the relative merits of NXPing and DPSFlush ()?

 - Paul Shannon
   pts@virginia.edu