[comp.sys.next] NeXT Technical Alert 90-2: Remote Printing to non-NeXT computers

amarcum@next.com (Alan M. Marcum) (01/03/91)

The following Technical Alert is being sent to all appropriate Customers
and support organizations.

Alan M. Marcum
NeXT Technical Support
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
NeXT Technical Alert 90-2

Summary

Printing from NeXT computers to printers on non-NeXT machines doesn't work
with release 2.0.

Description

The lpr program puts print jobs into the spooling area, where they
are picked up and printed by the UNIX printing server.  The lpr
program currently creates print command files that are incompatible
with the standard protocol, so a non-NeXT machine cannot handle
print jobs properly.  The symptoms are that no print jobs to non-NeXT
machines print.

Workaround

Log in to the system using your personal account.  Run the Terminal
application and type the following:

	hostname> dwrite System PrinterResolution 1

The above command sets the default printer resolution to a nonstandard
value.  You can now spool print jobs to non-NeXT machines.

Note: Even after applying this workaround, you won't be able to
print to non-NeXT printers from the PrintManager application.
Also, if you're logged in as root, you won't be able to print to
non-NeXT printers from some applications (for example, Digital
Librarian).  There is no workaround for these cases.

If after using this workaround you subsequently print to a NeXT
printer, the default resolution is reset and you cannot print to
non-NeXT hosts until you perform the workaround again.

For More Information

Contact your organization's support center, or NeXT Technical Support.

mattson@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Jim Mattson) (01/17/91)

amarcum@next.com (Alan M. Marcum) writes:

>Printing from NeXT computers to printers on non-NeXT machines doesn't work
>with release 2.0.

I never got this to work with 1.0 either.

>Workaround [deleted]

>Note: Even after applying this workaround, you won't be able to
>print to non-NeXT printers from the PrintManager application.
>Also, if you're logged in as root, you won't be able to print to
>non-NeXT printers from some applications (for example, Digital
>Librarian).  There is no workaround for these cases.

Alternative workaround.  If you have access to a Sun-3, you might try an
atom version of a statically linked Sun-3 version of lpr.  I did this under
1.0 with a SunOS 3.4 lpr, and it seemed to work for everything under 1.0.
I've only had 2.0 up for a few days, but it seems to work for everything
under 2.0 too.  Caveat:  I don't have a NeXT printer, so I don't know what
happens there.

(And to think that I was going to go back to that 2.0 distribution disk and
pull off the new NeXT lpr!  I can't believe I thought this problem might
have been fixed.  Now, why would I think that? ;-)

--jim
--
	Internet: jmattson@ucsd.edu
	Bitnet:	jmattson@ucsd

ut@tools.uucp (Uwe Tilemann) (01/18/91)

Don't know what you are talking about!

I've got a NeXT running release 2.0 connected via ethernet to a Sun 3/60
that has a QMS Postscript printer at one of its serial ports and have no
problems  printing with any application whatsoever.

Of course we had to fiddle with the printcap entry in the netinfo
database as the PrintManager does not allow you to configure a remote
printer.

% nidump printcap /
PostScript: \
        :rm=karl:rp=postscript:lp=:ty=QMS-PS 810: \
        :note=This is not a new printer:sd=/usr/spool/NeXT/PostScript: \
        :lo=lock:

--
Uwe Tilemann	ut@tools.UUCP	+49 228 230088