[comp.sys.next] Running a 2.0 client on a 1.0 server

francisr@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Rob Francis) (01/18/91)

     Has anyone tried this?  We've brought one up and haven't had
any problems yet.  Does anyone forsee any problems?

Rob Francis
francisr@ucs.indiana.edu
NeXT mail - francisr@arapahoe.ucs.indiana.edu

scott@mcs-server.gac.edu (Scott Hess) (01/18/91)

In article <1991Jan17.165853.8248@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> francisr@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Rob Francis) writes:
	Has anyone tried this?  We've brought one up and haven't had
   any problems yet.  Does anyone forsee any problems?

I don't know what you want, exactly, but in the public interest:

1.0 executables run fine under 2.0, so long as they weren't excessive
	in going underneath the OS.  Example of excessive?  XNeXT.
1.0 programs will, in general, compile under 2.0 fairly well.  A
	couple changes have been made in include files, which will
	neccessitate changes in your code, but that isn't too hard.
	The only problem I've had is that the libtext.a library
	is gone.  You can get it from NeXT, I think, but I just
	copied a 1.0 version, and it seems to work fine.
2.0 programs will not run under 1.0.  This is because too much of
	the libraries have changed.  More importantly:
2.0 .nib files are not compatible with 1.0.  I found this out the
	hard way.  1.0 .nib files work fine under 2.0, but once
	saved from InterfaceBuilder in 2.0, you cannot read them
	from InterfaceBuilder in 1.0.  This extends further than
	just the added objects in 2.0.  A raw .nib file without
	anything amazing does not move back to 1.0, either.

Of course, it is hard to see why one would go back to 1.0 once at
2.0, but I'm sure reasons will show up.  I've not seen anything
nearly bad enough to warrent moving back yet, though . . .
--
scott hess                      scott@gac.edu
Independent NeXT Developer	GAC Undergrad

grd@cm-next-9.Stanford.EDU (glen diener) (01/20/91)

----stuff deleted----
>Of course, it is hard to see why one would go back to 1.0 once at
>2.0, but I'm sure reasons will show up.  I've not seen anything
>nearly bad enough to warrent moving back yet, though . . .
>--
>scott hess                      scott@gac.edu
>Independent NeXT Developer	GAC Undergrad
><I still speak for nobody>
>"Tried anarchy, once.  Found it had too many constraints . . ."
>"Buy `Sweat 'n wit '2 Live Crew'`, a new weight loss program by
>Richard Simmons . . ."

Note that you cannot run a 2.0 netboot client from a 1.0 netboot
server: the 2.0 client will get a copy of the 1.0 mach kernal,
and its 2.0 init will die...

glen diener
grd@ccrma.stanford.edu