[comp.sys.next] Dissatisfaction with NeXT the company

ty@springs.cis.ufl.edu (Tyng-Jing Yang) (01/20/91)

It seems that I'm not the only one who complains about NeXT Inc.
Before I say more, I have to say I love my NeXTCube ;-) though I even
try to put it on yard sale(yeh, shame on me).

The following list is the common problem/complains appeared in this newsgroup
(during last year& half) and my own opinion.

1. X
   We finally (almost) have X server as a "Migration path"
   (NeXT said that). It was a wrong decision not support a
   "brain damage" window in the beginning.(to be humble
   to its enemy, I mean).

2. Modem
   People keep asking "How to connect a modem ?" again and again.
   NeXT should have a chapter on "Installing Modem" in user manual.
   I still don't know how to let other guys dial-in my cube.
   There are two or three post on Modem's dial-in and dial-out but
   I spent serveral weekend nights and still can't make it.
   NeXT should clarify this problem .

3. Poor Documentation/programming books
    A. "Printed NeXT Tech. Dos 1.0a"
       This Docs set made me upset very much. It definitely is
       the best but diffcult "for me" to read/learn from this Docs set
       I'm counting on New 2.0 Docs set which is better and with
       index(thanks God).
    B. "The NeXT BooK" which is too old(0.9 version).
       I hope the author can come out 2.0 edition.
    C. "The NeXT Bible" is an introductory book. It doesn't teach me
       NeXT prgramming.
    D. "Object-Oriented Programming: An Evolution Approach",Brad J. Cox.
       By reading this Book, I found out that there  are two kind of
       Object-C: StepStone's Object-C and NeXT's Object-C.
       BTW, IBM's NeXTStep adopt StepStone's Object-C so here is the
       problem, Which Object-C will you follow ?

    E. C++ seems the right programming language to follow
       but to my knowledge, no book about "C++ progamming on NeXT"
       and How serious is NeXT Inc. on C++ programming ?

4. Poor Upgrade policy
   I don't hwo NeXT distribute those hot 68040 CPUs. It seems most
   people like s/w upgrade first.
   Why not send 2.0 Extened s/w OD to those who order 2.0 upgrade.
   I try to add up the money I spent on NeXT including 040 upgrade
   , floppy drive. It make me feel guilty to spent such big money
   and still is a NeXT user (not a NeXT programmer).

5. Qestionable Component quality
   I saw posts about Dead CPU, Hard disk, Mouse problem. Well, it is
   understandable for there is no perfect quality control even some of
   the components(keyboard,mouse,monitor,OD driver,OD) are made by Japan.

The problem made me very unhappy is that My OD driver in NeXTcube
will died of "Sucking in too much dust" SOME DAY. This is obviously a
"wrong system design" from NeXT Inc. Extending warranty from 3 month
to 1yr doesn't solve the problem.

6. Arrogant silence in this newgroup
   Frequency of NeXT's voice on comp.sys.next are countable.

7. Poor customer service
   My experience of customer service from 800-NeXT or ask-next is good.
   from the bookstore I bought is fair.
   From the Bland is poor.

Tyng-Jing Yang

jfreem@uncecs.edu (Joe Freeman) (01/21/91)

In article <TY.91Jan19194345@springs.cis.ufl.edu> ty@springs.cis.ufl.edu (Tyng-Jing Yang) writes:

>It seems that I'm not the only one who complains about NeXT Inc.
>Before I say more, I have to say I love my NeXTCube ;-) though I even
>try to put it on yard sale(yeh, shame on me).
>
>The following list is the common problem/complains appeared in this newsgroup
>(during last year& half) and my own opinion.
>
>2. Modem
>   People keep asking "How to connect a modem ?" again and again.
	This is a problem.  Most folks want to dial out.  They should probably
	buy a third party product (like they would on a pc), such as
	communicae.  Dial in should probably be documented better. Folks
	wanting to set up UUCP should probably read one of the nutshell books

>3. Poor Documentation/programming books
	I found the tech docs quite usefull.  The concepts manual explains
	quite a few interesting areas.  There should be a "book" on the
	programming subject.  I know of a couple in the works.

>    E. C++ seems the right programming language to follow
>       but to my knowledge, no book about "C++ progamming on NeXT"
>       and How serious is NeXT Inc. on C++ programming ?
	C++ is a migration tool for existing C++ programs and systems. I
	doubt, in the near future, you will see much emphasis on it from
	NeXT.  Objective-C provides certain functionality that would be
	difficult to obtain under C++ (no C++ flames please)

>4. Poor Upgrade policy
>   I don't hwo NeXT distribute those hot 68040 CPUs. It seems most
>   people like s/w upgrade first.
>   Why not send 2.0 Extened s/w OD to those who order 2.0 upgrade.
	We are doing that.  It took longer than we would have liked.

>5. Qestionable Component quality
>   I saw posts about Dead CPU, Hard disk, Mouse problem. Well, it is
>   understandable for there is no perfect quality control even some of
>   the components(keyboard,mouse,monitor,OD driver,OD) are made by Japan.
	If it is understandable then why bring it up.  The number of quality
	posts is less than (or on the order of) competetive products.

>The problem made me very unhappy is that My OD driver in NeXTcube
>will died of "Sucking in too much dust" SOME DAY. This is obviously a
>"wrong system design" from NeXT Inc. Extending warranty from 3 month
>to 1yr doesn't solve the problem.
	I have had my cube (old design) for 22 months and have not had a
	failure.  Other people have had dust problems. Usually they can
	be corrected with c blast of compressed air, sometimes not. Newer
	machines have an optional filter fitted onto the back of the MO.
	Other CD/optical drives have had similar problems.

>6. Arrogant silence in this newgroup
>   Frequency of NeXT's voice on comp.sys.next are countable.
	Arrogant postings are also in this news group.  What is the reward
	for responding?

>7. Poor customer service
>   My experience of customer service from 800-NeXT or ask-next is good.
>   from the bookstore I bought is fair.
>   From the Bland is poor.
	Problems with retail outlets should be detailed and sent to your
	local NeXT office.  I will be happy to provide the address if you
	wish.

	NeXT cannot control all retail outlets, anymore than can any other
	vendor.  We make strong efforts to help bring them up to speed and
	need constructive feedback as to the type of problems you are having
	at a particualr site.

--
Joe Freeman	jfreem@uncecs.edu
		jfreeman@next.com

scott@mephistopheles.gac.edu (Scott Hess) (01/21/91)

In article <TY.91Jan19194345@springs.cis.ufl.edu> ty@springs.cis.ufl.edu (Tyng-Jing Yang) writes:
   2. Modem
      People keep asking "How to connect a modem ?" again and again.
      NeXT should have a chapter on "Installing Modem" in user manual.
      I still don't know how to let other guys dial-in my cube.
      There are two or three post on Modem's dial-in and dial-out but
      I spent serveral weekend nights and still can't make it.
      NeXT should clarify this problem .

The simple fact is that connecting a modem to a Unix system in such a
manner that it can use the full flexibility of such a system is not
easy.  You simply cannot do the same on a PC or a Mac without dedicating
the machine to bulletin board software.  The problem is not a NeXT
problem, but a Unix problem.  This is something that happens all over
Unix - the people who know can do this stuff quickly, but there
is no bootstrap documentation for people who don't know.  NeXT is
trying (they've put those tech docs on the archive sites, and
some are even fairly helpful), but, unfortunately for people not
on one, I think their main thrust is towards networked machines.
_I_ think that's the right thing for now.  You don't.  NeXT cannot
do everything.

About connecting a modem questions - you might note that people, in
general, ask the same question again and again.  That's because they
miss the first answer, or don't think it important when they see it.
Heck, I do the same thing.  Because of that, there are a couple
collections of answers.  One is NextAnswers, availiable at both
of the archive sites (plus much, much more.)  The other are the
tech docs, also at the archives.  There's a tech doc for
what you need to connect to build a serial cable. Else, you order a
cable from a company, as hardware.470 says in NextAnswers.
The SerialPortDoc gives a pretty good overview of what's going
on, though.  It was enough for me to get connected, though I
don't need dial-up.  The setup for dial-up is described in that
document, though.  Another source would be the UUCP tech doc,
availiable in the same place.

Maybe these documents were not availiable when you checked last.
Please do check, though.

   3. Poor Documentation/programming books
       A. "Printed NeXT Tech. Dos 1.0a"
	  This Docs set made me upset very much. It definitely is
	  the best but diffcult "for me" to read/learn from this Docs set
	  I'm counting on New 2.0 Docs set which is better and with
	  index(thanks God).

Technical reference manuals are not for learning, they are for
reference.  Few computers come with more than rudimentary tutorial
manuals, though almost all come with reference manuals.
The Concepts manual of the 1.0 tech docs made an attempt
at teaching a little bit, but even that's more of a reference
manual than anything.  I personally would rather they put in more
reference material, but that would make it worse for new users.
The standard method of learning to program the NeXT well is to
go to developer's camp - I've not heard anything but good from
people who've went.  Of course, that's an expensive option, which
many people can't afford.  Of course, it's an expensive machine.

       B. "The NeXT BooK" which is too old(0.9 version).
	  I hope the author can come out 2.0 edition.
       C. "The NeXT Bible" is an introductory book. It doesn't teach me
	  NeXT prgramming.

I thought "The NeXT Book" was too old when I first saw it (and I was
still under 0.9 :-).  But neither of these are NeXT's problem.

       E. C++ seems the right programming language to follow
	  but to my knowledge, no book about "C++ progamming on NeXT"
	  and How serious is NeXT Inc. on C++ programming ?

I don't think it's up to NeXT.  NeXT has been working with the
Free Software Foundation to integrate Objective-C into g++.  Once
it's there, presumably NeXT will not be driving it anymore.  It
will not be up to GNU to support it, either.  Also, remember that
it's not up to NeXT to bring out books, but to informed people
outside of NeXT.  NeXT should, of course, be doing their best
to help people if they need info for a book, but they aren't
a publishing house.

   6. Arrogant silence in this newgroup
      Frequency of NeXT's voice on comp.sys.next are countable.

If they _had_ posted people would think _that's_ arrogant.

There are problems with posting to public forums such as this that
are, to a great extent, supported by public funds.  NeXT can't.
Specific people at NeXT can use this forum to address issues, but
NeXT, as a company, cannot.  The Internet is for educational use
only.  Of course, there are parts of Usenet which _don't_ go
over the Internet, but the Internet is the backbone of Usenet.

I don't mean to sound like I don't understand your problems.  I went
through many of them, too.  It's just that most other companies
I've had experience, some of them far larger than NeXT, generally
don't have anything better installed.  I think reasonable complaints
are alright, and, when directed to NeXT, will have some effect.
I think frothing at the mouth will not, and this thread is quickly
approaching the frothing stage.  It would be wonderful if NeXT
could pay close attention to each and every person who's ever
purchased or ordered a NeXT.  But, from my experience with them
they are generally quite busy, and people are bound to slip
through the cracks.

Disclaimer:  I don't work for NeXT, but I sometimes work with them
on projects.  I don't have much pull there, and cannot speak for them,
any more than they can speak for me.  So lay none of this at their
door.
--
scott hess                      scott@gac.edu
Independent NeXT Developer	GAC Undergrad

raymond@currituck.cs.unc.edu (Will Raymond) (01/21/91)

>>(I still hope I have a job after this posting)
>
>If it were up to me, you'd get a commendation for
>willingness to respond and listen.
>
>Tell Steve I said you were a good man! :-)

I've met Joe several times, he's help starting  Triangle User Group
( TUNG ? ).  He's been very helpful and knowledgeable.  His responses
help settle my indecision on purchasing a cube.  I hope more NeXT
realizes the goodwill people like Joe engenders cannot be bought.

Will

    *******       Will Raymond - Northern Telecom NTP in RTP
|  | ~   ~ |  |
   . O   o .      Work: ...uucp!rti!ntpdvp1!willr
|     .V.     |   Fun:  ...uucp!cs.unc.edu!raymond
     ._ _.
|      U      |   I speak for myself.

bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) (01/21/91)

     Before I get into it here, I'd like to thank Joe Freeman for daring
to stick his head out of the foxhole a moment.  I do hope he won't take
this followup posting personally.  It is not directed at him; on the
contrary it is something I have been meaning to post for a while and this
thread has now triggered it.

In article <1991Jan20.214014.18419@uncecs.edu> jfreem@uncecs.edu (Joe Freeman) writes:
>In article <TY.91Jan19194345@springs.cis.ufl.edu> ty@springs.cis.ufl.edu (Tyng-Jing Yang) writes:
>>
>>It seems that I'm not the only one who complains about NeXT Inc.
>>Before I say more, I have to say I love my NeXTCube ;-) though I even
>>try to put it on yard sale(yeh, shame on me).
>>
>>The following list is the common problem/complains appeared in this newsgroup
>>(during last year& half) and my own opinion.
>>
>>2. Modem
>> [text deleted  --SJB]
>>3. Poor Documentation/programming books
>	I found the tech docs quite usefull.  The concepts manual explains
>	quite a few interesting areas.  There should be a "book" on the
>	programming subject.  I know of a couple in the works.

     In November I bought one of B'land's clearance sale machines.  It
arrived with a 1.0a disk and *some* of the documentation.  One missing
manual refered to by other documentation was called "System Reference
Manual."  I called the 800 number and was told that I could no longer
get a copy of it, that I would have to shell out the $195 for release
2.0, and that if I really wanted that sort of documentation--and why
wouldn't I if I'm a systems programmer, not a Lotus eater? ;-| --, I'd
have to shell out a further $125 for the rest of the documentation.

>>  [more text deleted  --SJB]
>>
>>4. Poor Upgrade policy
>>   I don't hwo NeXT distribute those hot 68040 CPUs. It seems most
>>   people like s/w upgrade first.
>>   Why not send 2.0 Extened s/w OD to those who order 2.0 upgrade.
>	We are doing that.  It took longer than we would have liked.

     Well?  Why *has* it taken so long?

>>  [more deleted  --SJB]
>>
>>7. Poor customer service
>>   My experience of customer service from 800-NeXT or ask-next is good.
>>   from the bookstore I bought is fair.
>>   From the Bland is poor.
>	Problems with retail outlets should be detailed and sent to your
>	local NeXT office.  I will be happy to provide the address if you
>	wish.
>
>	NeXT cannot control all retail outlets, anymore than can any other
>	vendor.  We make strong efforts to help bring them up to speed and
>	need constructive feedback as to the type of problems you are having
>	at a particualr site.

     [Flame ignites here.  If you don't like flames *and* you don't work
for NeXT, then press 'n' now.]
     My experience with Businessland began 5 November 1990 when I bought
my NeXT computer.  Thus far they have been reasonably helpful, but they
have been hindered by their supplier.  I have not dealt with Businessland
regarding maintenance; my machine has sat unused since its arrival on
8 November 1990 because I have thus far been unable to obtain *any* blank
optical disks onto which to copy the release 1.0a disk that came with the
machine and onto which to write any other sorts of backups.  Because the
machine cannot be safely used without backups, it has not been used.
Because it has not been used, there is no way to know whether it needs
any hardware maintenance.  Q.E.D.
     Businessland tells me they now have on backorder over 350 OD's
with no sign that the orders will be filled.  NeXT tells me that for
the months of November and December 1990 and January 1991 Canon has
allocated NeXT a total of *15* (yes, that is really fifteen, not a typo)
OD's per month.
     If the above is true, then NeXT has made a serious error in choosing
Canon's products.  If Canon is doing this to NeXT, in whom they have
made a $ub$tantial investment, does this signal that Canon is now writing
off that investment?  If so, what does that say about Canon's assessment
of NeXT's future?
     Regarding NeXT's 800 number, I would have to say that the people
answering the phones have generally been cordial, if unable to provide
relief.  They have indeed answered many of my questions, even though
many of those answers have been quite a disappointment.  (Email me for
specifics if you're interested.)  There is one big bone I have to pick,
however.  I have on more than one occasion asked for a phone number by
which to call Canon to find out more about the OD shortage and to let
them know of this customer's dissatisfaction.  Once I was given a number
for them.  I called it and got some hired firm that sends out printer
sales literature for Canon to people who call.  The best they could do
for me was give me the number of The Computer Center, a store in
Rockford, Ill. that sells Canon printers among other things.  The trained
monkey I spoke with there gave me a phone number supposedly for Canon's
printer division that was printed on some brochure in the store.  He
was apparently not involved in ordering from Canon and did not know any
other way to contact them.  I called the number he had given me and was
rewarded with a recorded/computerized message saying that I had "reached
an unauthorized location," whatever the hell that means!
     Each time I have asked the people at NeXT's 800 number to give me
a phone number for Canon since that time, I have been told they don't
have a number for Canon.  They have not offered to go get the number
from someone else at NeXT.  I don't call the 800 number to be insulted.
It is not within the realm of reason that NeXT should not have a phone
number, mailing address, and name of a contact at Canon about their
magneto-optical disks and drives.  Canon is NeXT's sole supplier for
these products, as well as being NeXT's largest outside investor.
     Given NeXT's claims that the fault for the continuing unavailability
of the disks lies with Canon, then it makes no sense that NeXT would
not freely give out the information on how to contact Canon along with
encouragement to do so--how would Canon respond to repeated calls from
hundreds of irate customers?--unless, of course, NeXT is lying about
this as well.
     [Flame doused.]

>--
>Joe Freeman	jfreem@uncecs.edu
>		jfreeman@next.com
>I work for NeXT but this is not an official posting from them.
>The opinions espressed here are my own and are not shared by my employer  or

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
                                  Systems Programming
                                  Northern Illinois University
                                  DeKalb, Illinois 60115
* Internet:       bennett@cs.niu.edu                                 *
* BITNET:         A01SJB1@NIU                                        *
*  "WAR is the HEALTH of the STATE"  --Albert Jay Nock (I think:-)   *

jfreem@uncecs.edu (Joe Freeman) (01/21/91)

>     In November I bought one of B'land's clearance sale machines.  It
>arrived with a 1.0a disk and *some* of the documentation.  One missing
>manual refered to by other documentation was called "System Reference
>Manual."  I called the 800 number and was told that I could no longer
>get a copy of it, that I would have to shell out the $195 for release
>2.0, and that if I really wanted that sort of documentation--and why
>wouldn't I if I'm a systems programmer, not a Lotus eater? ;-| --, I'd
>have to shell out a further $125 for the rest of the documentation.

(I like the Lotus eater comment)

The manual you are missing, "System Reference Manual" is part of the
programming docs.  It is the manual that has all of the subroutine calls
in the kit.  Average users will find very little of value in it. (kind of
like the unix brick section 3)

For those that don't know.  The additional documentation is the programmers
documentation.  It is the equivalent to "inside macintosh" for you former
mac folks.  It is NOT of much use to those people that are not trying to
program the system.  For those programming the system, NeXT provides docs
online.  The printed docs are $195? and consists of a 3 volume set.  We
probably could have sold it in seperate volumes, like our competitors, and
hit the user up for each one.  Every vendor, I can think of, sells the
toolkit reference manuals seperately. (Those that know of machines otherwise
can EMAIL me)  The mac does.  Workstations are sold with optional extended
manuals.  PCs come with user docs, window docs and GW basic docs.

Now if the issue is that 2.0 user docs (included with the upgrade/system)
are inadequate, then you need to feed that back through your campus support
centers.  Registered developers have their own email channel they can feed
the comments back through.
>>>   Why not send 2.0 Extened s/w OD to those who order 2.0 upgrade.
>>	We are doing that.  It took longer than we would have liked.
>     Well?  Why *has* it taken so long?
(looking around to see if anyone here is looking over my shoulder) Disk
avail is the problem. (yes I have read the section below and I can't
explain it)
<very diplomatic response deleted>

Joe Freeman	jfreem@uncecs.edu
		jfreeman@next.com
I work for NeXT but this is not an official posting from them.
The opinions espressed here are my own and are not shared by my employer  or

waltrip@capd.jhuapl.edu (01/22/91)

In article <1991Jan21.134352.1524@uncecs.edu>, jfreem@uncecs.edu (Joe Freeman)
writes:
	[...material deleted...]

> The manual you are missing, "System Reference Manual" is part of the
> programming docs.  It is the manual that has all of the subroutine calls
> in the kit.  Average users will find very little of value in it. (kind of
> like the unix brick section 3)
>
> For those that don't know.  The additional documentation is the programmers
> documentation.  It is the equivalent to "inside macintosh" for you former
> mac folks.  It is NOT of much use to those people that are not trying to
> program the system.  For those programming the system, NeXT provides docs
> online.  The printed docs are $195? and consists of a 3 volume set.
	[...more material deleted...]
	When we ordered my son's NeXTstation (through U of Maryland) these
	documents were not on the order form.  I don't know whether I will
	want to order them since they are on-line but, in case I do, how do I
	go about it?  Do I have to a registered NeXT developer?  Can I order
	directly through NeXT?  Anyone know?

c.f.waltrip

DDN:  <waltrip@capsrv.jhuapl.edu>

Opinions expressed are my own.