[comp.sys.next] screensaver

smm@wucs1.wustl.edu (Steve Moore) (01/19/89)

Does the NeXT cube have a screen saver function?  I have not located
one yet and would prefer to leave the cube running overnight if
possible.

root@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Boss Tweed) (01/21/89)

In article <653@wucs1.wustl.edu> smm@wucs1.wustl.edu (Steve Moore) writes:

>Does the NeXT cube have a screen saver function?  I have not located
>one yet and would prefer to leave the cube running overnight if
>possible.

In the works is an automatic screensaver that will initiate after
30 minutes of idling.  I recommended that NeXT engineer an
immediate screen blank by hitting the COMMAND DIM key in the
same way that COMMAND ATTENUATE  on the sound keys (will)
initiate mute sound.

I think this feature is needed for users to have "some"
measure of control over functions, and as a security measure
against prying eyes peeking over the shoulder.

John Glasscock                          Indiana University
glasscoc@cica.cica.indiana.edu          Bloomington, Indiana

"I'm a victim of demand-driven desires in a supply-sided
economy."  Yours truly.

STORKEL@RICE.BITNET (Scott Storkel) (01/22/89)

We leave our machine on all the time. Use the contrast control keys to turn
the contrast way down, that way the monitor won't burn in. We do this and
haven't had any problems. As soon as I get a chance, I'm going to try and
port a screen saver we use on our Suns to the NeXT. Don't hold your breath
though.

Scott Storkel
Macintosh Software Development
Rice Unviersity

hess@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Caleb Hess) (01/31/89)

In article <1476@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:

>It seems as if it wouldn't be too difficult to be able to switch
>off the horizontal drive circuit while the screen was blanked; it
>would only require one transistor, and the same register bit for
>beam control would suffice.  It would be a lot safer too, as the
>risk of a fire in the power supply would be elimiated while the
>monitor was unattended.  Note that the CRT heater could remain
>turned on, so there would be no obnoxious lag when the screen was
>reenabled.
>
>--Bill

I would hesitate to implement this change without careful consideration of
all the implications.  In a previous life as a broadcast engineer, I learned
that the lifetime of a vacuum tube run as a 'hot spare' (with filament on
but no anode voltage) is usually much shorter than the lifetime of a tube
in normal service.  It seems that the hot filament poisons itself if the
electrons are not sucked away as they boil off.  In the case of RF power
tubes, this meant that the tube couldn't deliver normal power because of
insufficient cathode current.  In the case of a CRT, I would expect a loss
of brightness due to the same effect.

hess@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu				KE9LC

farber@pcpond.cis.upenn.edu. (David J. Farber) (06/16/90)

Is there a letter and better version of a screensaver for the next.

Dave

David Farber; Prof. of CIS and EE, U of Penn, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6389
Tele(215): 898-9508(off); 274-8292 (home); FAX: 274-8293;  Cellular: 870-0175
 "The fundamental principle of science, the definition almost, is this: the
sole test of the validity of any idea is experiment." -- R. P. Feynman

FUCHS@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Ira Fuchs) (07/04/90)

Has anyone gotten the Screensaver to work (the one that uses Pscreen and
screensaver.aux)? I believe that we hvae installed it correctly but I
continue to get the message "csh: Permission denied" when I run it.
Any idea what's wrong?

fuchs@czar.Princeton.EDU (Ira Fuchs) (11/10/90)

Has anyone ever gotten the program "screensaver" to work properly? The version
on the sonata archive is still .5 (Alpha). It dies with a message of "csh:
Permission denied". Doesn't matter where the files are placed or whether
you are superuser, etc..If the author is listening... is there any plan to
complete this program? (By the way, setdimtime seems to work but pscreen
causes PS errors under 2.0).

cs4ed3ap@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Tyldesly A) (01/22/91)

I have gotten the screen saver program ftped from purdue up and running
except that it doesn't blacken the screen when a user is not logged in at
the consule (ie. the login window is displayed). Does anyone know how to
set it up to do this. Thanks alot.

Andrew