[comp.sys.next] Monitor glitch

carlton@aldebaran (Mike Carlton) (01/21/91)

In article <1991Jan20.170031.27592@macc.wisc.edu> anderson@dogie.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) writes:
>In article <CHIN.91Jan20103548@sg1.chem.upenn.edu>
>chin@sg1.chem.upenn.edu (Chin Wu) writes:
>
>>    I am pleased they can respond to my problem so soon. Obviously,
>
>Since I was on the horn about this a couple days ago, I'm
>pleased to note what you say.  I have a budding monitor problem
>I think (some sheering along the top edge of the image) with
>my brand-new machine.  We have in-house warranty service, but
>I don't think there are any loaners.
>
><> Celibacy is hereditary.
>--
>Jess Anderson <> Madison Academic Computing Center <> University of Wisconsin

There is a small monitor problem on every Next display I've ever seen: the
upper left edge (about 1/4 inch) is slightly bent.  Is this the problem
you're referring to?  Does anyone not have this?

One of my colleages (sp? where's webster when I need it!) suggested it was
probably due to a video retrace problem where the beam hasn't had enough
time to settle down after returning from the bottom of the screen.  This
actually makes quite a bit of sense given the size of the screen and the
fact that the glitch only occurs on the upper left part.  Any other
speculations?

A small bit of trivia for you: did you realize that there are 2 small
surface mount LED's on the slab motherboard?  One (almost hidden by the
hard disk) appears to blink regularly.  The other (in the front left-hand
corner) blinks irregularly.  It seems to be tied to keyboard input or
possibly screen drawing (it shines steadily when you type return in a
shell window).  Maybe it simply denotes bus traffic?

Cheers,
--mike

Mike Carlton	carlton@cs.berkeley.edu

anderson@macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (01/21/91)

In article <10343@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> carlton@aldebaran
(Mike Carlton) writes:

>In article <1991Jan20.170031.27592@macc.wisc.edu>
>anderson@dogie.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) writes:

>>I have a budding monitor problem
>>I think (some sheering along the top edge of the image) with
>>my brand-new machine.  We have in-house warranty service, but
>>I don't think there are any loaners.

>There is a small monitor problem on every Next display I've
>ever seen: the upper left edge (about 1/4 inch) is slightly
>bent.  Is this the problem you're referring to?  Does anyone
>not have this?

Good questions.  I have that one too, a little bend out to
the left, about the height of the title bar on the menu. But
the problem I mention is along the whole top edge of the
image, which blooms noticeably upward from about the middle
of the image all the way to the right edge, so that the
image is quite trapezoidal, with the right edge .25 to .375
inch longer than the left one.

<> Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
--
Jess Anderson <> Madison Academic Computing Center <> University of Wisconsin
Internet: anderson@macc.wisc.edu <-best, UUCP:{}!uwvax!macc.wisc.edu!anderson

sethross@well.sf.ca.us (Seth Ross) (01/22/91)

In article <1991Jan21.001555.18074@macc.wisc.edu>, anderson@macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) writes:
> Good questions.  I have that one too, a little bend out to
> the left, about the height of the title bar on the menu. But
> the problem I mention is along the whole top edge of the
> image, which blooms noticeably upward from about the middle
> of the image all the way to the right edge, so that the
> image is quite trapezoidal, with the right edge .25 to .375
> inch longer than the left one.

My monitor is also "trapezoidal" -- the borders around the screen
image are uneven, with the upper left corner about .25 inch lower
than the upper right. This problem arose when I moved my system
from the east coast to the west. The explanation I got from NeXT
tech: the monitor needs to be adjusted for the different magnetic
field conditions present in CA. A "simple" magnet adjustment
in the back of the monitor should solve the problem. I would do
it myself, but I was told this would void my warranty.

I guess I'll haul all 40 lbs. of the beast to my nearest service
center sometime soon, because my perception of the NeXT world
is definitely crooked :-)

Seth Ross

seth@albion.sf.ca.us