[comp.sys.next] Funny rm Business?

anderson@macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (01/21/91)

I must be losing my mind (no jokes, please).

On all my previous Unices, aliasing rm to rm -i was a recipe
for saving your neck as well as a convenience in cleaning up
a muddled directory.  In the cases where you were *sure* of
yourself, you could always go rm -f *, because -f would
override -i when both appear.  Not so with 2.0, I guess.  Is
there a trick?

<> Perfection is when expectations and reality actually meet.
<> -- Ryerson Schwark (ry@cbnewsl.att.com)
--
Jess Anderson <> Madison Academic Computing Center <> University of Wisconsin
Internet: anderson@macc.wisc.edu <-best, UUCP:{}!uwvax!macc.wisc.edu!anderson

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (01/21/91)

In article <1991Jan21.001738.18182@macc.wisc.edu> anderson@macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) writes:

   I must be losing my mind (no jokes, please).

   On all my previous Unices, aliasing rm to rm -i was a recipe
   for saving your neck as well as a convenience in cleaning up
   a muddled directory.  In the cases where you were *sure* of
   yourself, you could always go rm -f *, because -f would
   override -i when both appear.  Not so with 2.0, I guess.  Is
   there a trick?

rm -i works for me.  If you use tcsh, and type 'rm *', it will ask you
to confirm the deletions.  Maybe your rm is aliased to rm -f.  Type
alias rm to find out.

-Mike

geoff@circus.camex.com (Geoffrey Knauth) (01/23/91)

>In article <1991Jan21.001738.18182@macc.wisc.edu> anderson@macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) writes:
>
>                         In the cases where you were *sure* of
>   yourself, you could always go rm -f *, because -f would
>   override -i when both appear.  Not so with 2.0, I guess.  Is
>   there a trick?

When I alias rm with "rm -i", I use "/bin/rm -f" to override the alias.

        Geoffrey S. Knauth                       geoff@bos.camex.com
    Camex, Inc., 75 Kneeland St.                 geoff%bos.camex@uunet.uu.net
Boston, MA 02111, (617) 426-3577 x451            --standard disclaimers--