[comp.sys.next] SEND ME SCSI DRIVE INFO!!!

wjs@milton.u.washington.edu (William Jon Shipley) (01/19/91)

I'd like to create a database of SCSI drives that hopefully work with
the NeXT.  I've downloaded an older list from sonata, and I'll start with
the (meager) info there.

Even if you just see a cheap drive in an ad, and haven't tested it, send the
info to me, with the appropriate fields marked.  The idea is to set up a
system like some nice netters are doing with RAM prices, where I can post
the latest and greatest deals every month or so.

The fields I'd like to see are:

---------------------------

Drive Name:
Model Number:
Manufacturer:

Size Unformatted:
Free Space Formatted:
Average Access Time:

Physical Size:
SCSI-1 or SCSI-2:

Price:
Seller:
Phone:
When:

Warranty:

Case and Power Supply included:

Actually Hooked up to NeXT:

Problems:

Comments:
  <for ex, where can we get a case if none included, or can we mount it
  internally, or...>

Source: <who are you?>

-----------------------------

If you have a non-NeXT drive or have seen a good deal on one I encourage you
to take a few moments to fill this out and send it to me.  Leave some of the
fields blank if you wish, I'd rather have partial information than no
information.

I'm still not quite sure how I'll set up the database.  It may end up being
just straight text, or it may be something cool with DBKit.  At any rate,
I'll put it on the ftp sites, and try to maintain it (at least until I can
find someone else to do it).

-william shipley

majka@cs.ubc.ca (Marc Majka) (01/22/91)

William Jon Shipley writes:
>I'd like to create a database of SCSI drives that hopefully work with
>the NeXT.

There are three issues here:
1: Does it work on a NeXT
2: How do you get it working
3: Cost, performance, etc

I don't think there is much use in collecting information about
point 1.  I have yet to see a SCSI drive that *doesn't* work on a NeXT.
It may be more useful to address point 2.  In most cases, you just plug
it in and go, but there are some like Fujitsu drives, which need a
couple of jumpers pulled.  Point 3 varies greatly from place to place,
and prices are dropping fast enough that any database would be out of
date in a month.  Performance specs might be interesting.

---
Marc Majka
System Manager - UBC Computer Science

wjs@milton.u.washington.edu (William Jon Shipley) (01/23/91)

Marc Majka writes:
>William Jon Shipley [me] writes:
>>I'd like to create a database of SCSI drives that hopefully work with
>>the NeXT.
>
>There are three issues here:
>1: Does it work on a NeXT
>2: How do you get it working
>3: Cost, performance, etc

1: I understand certain Mac drives don't work on a NeXT.  But, even if everyone
responds yes, I'll be just as happy.
2: There have been a lot of caveats in the drive specs I've received so far.
3: If people continue to send in the best deals they find every month, the
list will stay up-to-date.  Having a list on-line and sorted by price rather
than being forced to paw through Computer Shopper (which is sorted by
dealership) would be a win, I think.

Of course, it just won't work if people don't send me drive info.  This means
ewe.

-w