[comp.sys.next] alias/escapes

pat@cscnj (Patrick Hester) (01/25/91)

In article <992@kaos.MATH.UCLA.EDU>,  barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) writes:

> Sounds attached to commands
> ---------------------------
>
> too attach foobar.snd to the command foobar, make the following alias
> in your .cshrc file:
>
> alias foobar 'playsnd /me/foobar.snd ; /bin/foobar'
>
> NOTE: you must put the full path name of foobar (here assumed /bin/foobar)
> in the alias to avoid a self-referential alias.

You could also prevent aliasing by escaping any character in the
name with a back slant. Like foo\bar will get you the executable
via your path instead of the alias.

   alias foobar 'playsnd /me/foobar.snd ; fo\obar'

Also, if you are at a shell prompt and want to make sure you get
the executable instead of the alias.

BTW, this is only necessary in csh. ksh understands what you want.
--
 8=====8  =8(/\/)  --<-@  8=====8  (201)-805-2325  rutgers!cscnj!pat

If we didn't arm guys like Saddam, we wouldn't have to wage war on them.