[comp.sys.next] Hard Drive Options and the Extended Version?

yahnke@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Ross Yahnke, MACC) (01/25/91)

Anybody want to take a stab at this question? According to a note
from NeXT the 400 meg version containing Release 2.0 Extended has
180 megs of freespace and the 660 meg version has 405 megs free.

Inotherwords Release 2.0 Extended takes up 220 megs on the 400 meg
disk and it occupies 255 meg on the 660 meg disk. Can anyone
explain what the difference is? Thanks! - Ross

>>> yahnke@macc.wisc.edu <<<

anderson@dogie.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (01/25/91)

In article <1991Jan24.223213.21832@macc.wisc.edu>
yahnke@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Ross Yahnke, MACC) writes:

>Anybody want to take a stab at this question? According to a note
>from NeXT the 400 meg version containing Release 2.0 Extended has
>180 megs of freespace and the 660 meg version has 405 megs free.

>Inotherwords Release 2.0 Extended takes up 220 megs on the 400 meg
>disk and it occupies 255 meg on the 660 meg disk. Can anyone
>explain what the difference is? Thanks! - Ross

An additional complication, I think, is that these figures
for the empty disk size are not quite accurate, as far as I
can tell.  My new cube has a nominal 660MB disk, but the
Info panel reports total capacity as 633MB.  I was thinking
of the 400 if I get a 'station for home.

<> There are two ways to slide easily through life; to believe
<> everything or to doubt everything.  Both ways save us from
<> thinking. -- Alfred Korzybski
--
Jess Anderson <> Madison Academic Computing Center <> University of Wisconsin
Internet: anderson@macc.wisc.edu <-best, UUCP:{}!uwvax!macc.wisc.edu!anderson