[comp.sys.next] Dissatisfaction with NeXT

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (01/20/91)

  [Stuff from one unhappy NeXT owner deleted]

What is the latest word on the 040 upgrades?  Also, has anyone noticed
that Emacs runs SLOWER on the 040 machine for some reason.  It seems
to have a terrible time loading files.  Finally, BEWARE, MIT Scheme
7.1 will hang an 040 NeXT.

-Mike

mikec@wam.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) (01/20/91)

I would just like to put in that I recently received a letter from NeXT
basically apologizing for the delays, and saying that they are significantly
stepping up production for January. I am told that I should receive my 040
upgrade within a month.

MikeC

Michael D. Callaghan,MDC Designs, University of Merryland
mikec@wam.umd.edu

iwelch@agsm.ucla.edu (Ivo Welch) (01/25/91)

(1) I love my NeXT, and would immediately buy it again. In general, the NeXT
folks have stood behind their product much better than say Apple or Sun. Just
consider upgrade prices and free warranty extensions (unlike Apple, even when
the delivered harddisk was faulty, they didn't fix it).

(2) Like many, I am glad to see that NeXT has orders. I am not glad not to
have received my upgrade yet.

(3) The only thing I am *REAL* unhappy about is the OD in my cube. Alright, I
live in a dusty environment, and newer cubes than mine blow the dust the right
way, and thus avoid breakdowns. Still, given that I have an old-design cube, I
have no choice but to sell it (which I have already committed too). Pity.

(4) Let's get back to a discussion about how to improve things  in the future,
not each individual's opinion about past problems.

/ivo welch
ivo@next.agsm.ucla.edu

mikec@wam.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) (01/25/91)

In article <791@mara.cognet.ucla.edu> iwelch@agsm.ucla.edu (Ivo Welch) writes:
>(3) The only thing I am *REAL* unhappy about is the OD in my cube. Alright, I
>live in a dusty environment, and newer cubes than mine blow the dust the right
>way, and thus avoid breakdowns. Still, given that I have an old-design cube, I
>have no choice but to sell it (which I have already committed too). Pity.

I noticed when I opened up my Cube, also a rather old one, that the plug
on the fan is symmetric. Now, it seems to me, that if the motor for the
fan is electric (which I believe it is), then one could just reverse the
polarity on the plug to the fan, and it would blow the other way!

Mine sucks air in the back of the Cube, and blows air out the front. It
didn't come that way from NeXT. Also, it is no great task to cut a piece
of filter from an a/c unit or such, and tape it in front of the fan.

If I'm a total moron, please keep it to yourself. I would like to remain
ignorant of the fact.

MikeC

Michael D. Callaghan,MDC Designs, University of Merryland
mikec@wam.umd.edu

datran2 (01/26/91)

In article <1991Jan25.133302.4796@wam.umd.edu> mikec@wam.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) writes:

>Mine sucks air in the back of the Cube, and blows air out the front. It
>didn't come that way from NeXT. Also, it is no great task to cut a piece
>of filter from an a/c unit or such, and tape it in front of the fan.

When you get your update kit you will find a filter and instructions
for turning the fan around.  Yes.  Its as simple as that.  Just unscrew the
fan and it can be turned around and remounted.  Its all symmetric.
Do not reverse the polarity on the power.

No warranty expressed or implied.  I can't be responsible if you do
things to your cube.

Steve.

--
 #  Steve Boker           #  "Badgers, we don't have no stinking badgers"   #