[comp.sys.next] Dust & OD

jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Joseph Chin) (01/26/91)

With regard to OD in older Cubes and dust accumulation, and subsequent
failure of OD drives:

I have one of the earlier Cubes (pioneering Cubes?) with the fan sucking
air (and DUST) through the optical drive. After more than a year of faithful
service, the OD failed due to accumulation of dust. Upon informing NeXT of
the problem, the helpful people at NeXT promptly sent a replacement drive.
(at their cost ...)

Anyways, for those with older Cubes who are looking for a solution to
their OD dust problems, the light at the end of the tunnel is here! Along
with the 68040 upgrade kit also comes a dust filter which attaches to the
back of the OD. There is also instruction on re-mounting the fan so that
it sucks air through the back of the Cube and blows air out through the
front of the Cube (and the OD). The filter will prevent any dust from
getting into the OD. It is a very simple procedure and it works!

Warning: DO NOT reverse-connect the power connector of the fan!!

:-) Joe
jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca

 * "Kill the body and the head will die" (Hunter S. Thompson) *
 *    NeXT --> The ultimate electronic publishing platform!   *
 ********** Joseph Chin --> jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca *********

garnett@cs.utexas.edu (John William Garnett) (01/27/91)

In article <1597@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca> jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Joseph Chin) writes:
>I have one of the earlier Cubes (pioneering Cubes?) with the fan sucking
>air (and DUST) through the optical drive. After more than a year of faithful
>service, the OD failed due to accumulation of dust. Upon informing NeXT of
>the problem, the helpful people at NeXT promptly sent a replacement drive.
>(at their cost ...)
>Anyways, for those with older Cubes who are looking for a solution to
>their OD dust problems, the light at the end of the tunnel is here! Along
>with the 68040 upgrade kit also comes a dust filter which attaches to the
>back of the OD. There is also instruction on re-mounting the fan so that
>it sucks air through the back of the Cube and blows air out through the
>front of the Cube (and the OD). The filter will prevent any dust from
>getting into the OD. It is a very simple procedure and it works!
>
>Warning: DO NOT reverse-connect the power connector of the fan!!

Should owners of the older NeXTs take the above statement to mean that
the answer in "hardware.419" from NextAnswers may be safely ignored?

--- cut here ---
hardware fan reversing cooling vents

Q: Why can't I reverse the fan of my old cube so it blows the air like the
new ones to keep the cube a bit cleaner?

A: It will overheat the cube.  Older cubes have bottom vents only in the
front of the cube; the vents in the rear are critical to cooling if the fan
is blowing air down rather than pulling it up.

QA419
---- cut here ---

--
John Garnett
                              University of Texas at Austin

jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Joseph Chin) (01/27/91)

>In article <1597@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca> jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Joseph Chin) writes:
<<deleted>>
>>back of the OD. There is also instruction on re-mounting the fan so that
>>it sucks air through the back of the Cube and blows air out through the
>>front of the Cube (and the OD). The filter will prevent any dust from
>>getting into the OD. It is a very simple procedure and it works!
>
>Should owners of the older NeXTs take the above statement to mean that
>the answer in "hardware.419" from NextAnswers may be safely ignored?
>
>hardware fan reversing cooling vents
>
>Q: Why can't I reverse the fan of my old cube so it blows the air like the
>new ones to keep the cube a bit cleaner?
>A: It will overheat the cube.  Older cubes have bottom vents only in the
>front of the cube; the vents in the rear are critical to cooling if the fan
>is blowing air down rather than pulling it up.
>QA419
>--
>John Garnett

Good point! I guess there has been a change in opinion at NeXT ...

As for me, overheating is not really a problem. Up here in the Great
White North, the winter indoor temperature in my office is a COOL
62 degrees F (it goes up to 66 F after the laser printer has been on
for a while ... and we wonder where the 100W standby goes to!!). The
cool environment is great for staying awake.

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (01/27/91)

In article <1622@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca> jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Joseph Chin) writes:
##In article <1597@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca> jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Joseph Chin) writes:
##Should owners of the older NeXTs take the above statement to mean that
##the answer in "hardware.419" from NextAnswers may be safely ignored?
##
##Q: Why can't I reverse the fan of my old cube so it blows the air like the
##new ones to keep the cube a bit cleaner?
##A: It will overheat the cube.  Older cubes have bottom vents only in the
##front of the cube; the vents in the rear are critical to cooling if the fan
##is blowing air down rather than pulling it up.
##QA419
#Good point! I guess there has been a change in opinion at NeXT ...

You should also note that this upgrade ships with the processor
upgrade. On the new board at least two important chips have cooling
elements glued to them (among them the 68040).
I think this could help to remove the constraints mentioned in QA 419.

Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."   G.B. Shaw   |  rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet