[comp.sys.next] Landscape mode and dvips

finn@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Lee Samuel Finn) (01/27/91)

I'm trying to print on the NeXT laser printer a tex document in
landscape mode. The documentation for dvips indicates that the way to do this
is

% dvips -t landscape dvifilename

However, when I do this my cube thinks for a while (as dvips does its
stuff, near as I can see correctly) and then an alert panel from
"Printing" springs up with the error message "Couldn't print file
because of malformed PostScript Error: undefined; OffendingCommand:
landscape".

Has anyone any experience with this? I've checked NeXTAnswers, as well
as the online technical documentation with no success. I'd appreciate
hearing from anyone who has had this problem and anyone who has found
a way around it.

Thanks,

Sam Finn

charlie@wam.umd.edu (Charles William Fletcher) (01/28/91)

In article <1991Jan26.161740.16610@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> finn@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Lee Samuel Finn) writes:
>I'm trying to print on the NeXT laser printer a tex document in
>landscape mode. The documentation for dvips indicates that the way to do this
>is
>
>% dvips -t landscape dvifilename
>
>However, when I do this my cube thinks for a while (as dvips does its
>stuff, near as I can see correctly) and then an alert panel from
>"Printing" springs up with the error message "Couldn't print file
>because of malformed PostScript Error: undefined; OffendingCommand:
>landscape".
>
>Has anyone any experience with this? I've checked NeXTAnswers, as well
>as the online technical documentation with no success. I'd appreciate
>hearing from anyone who has had this problem and anyone who has found
>a way around it.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Sam Finn

Yes, there is a minor "bug" (depending on you view) in the PS file in
that the landscape mode is defined as '@landscape'. I notified Rokicki
and he gave me two working procedures--
Either give the -t option as @landscape as in

	 dvips -t @landscape dvifilename

Or (probably the way it is indended to work), put the line

	\special{landscape}

in your file. This is the documented method--see the dvips man page.

-Charlie