[comp.sys.next] Indexing Digital Librarian Targets

judge@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Peter Judge) (01/26/91)

How come when I try to update the index file for a target in
Digital Librarian (under v2.0) it doesn't do the job?

The only way I've found to successfully have an updated
index file is to destroy it and then re-create it.

Am I doing something wrong?

_Peter
==================
Peter W. Judge
judge@credit.erin.utoronto.ca

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (01/28/91)

In article <1991Jan25.165550.24316@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> judge@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Peter Judge) writes:
>How come when I try to update the index file for a target in
>Digital Librarian (under v2.0) it doesn't do the job?
>
>The only way I've found to successfully have an updated
>index file is to destroy it and then re-create it.
>
>Am I doing something wrong?

You are not doing anything wrong. The truth is that under 2.0 the
index files have a new, improved structure (they use now b-trees
instead of hash tables). Thus of course the new routines can't update
an old structure. You therefore have to delete the index and create a
new one.

Ronald

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."   G.B. Shaw   |  rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet

windemut@lisboa.tmc.edu (Andreas Windemuth) (01/28/91)

In article <62697@brunix.UUCP> rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) writes:

>You are not doing anything wrong. The truth is that under 2.0 the
>index files have a new, improved structure (they use now b-trees
>instead of hash tables). Thus of course the new routines can't update
>an old structure. You therefore have to delete the index and create a
>new one.
>
>Ronald

I dont' think it is necessary to delete the old index.
In my experience the 1.0 and 2.0 indices can peacefully
coexist in the same .index directory. Of course, updating
one doesn't update the other, so if you have mixed access
from both 1.0 and 2.0 systems, you have to build or update
the index twice, once for each system. Of course, it is
generally a bad idea to have a mixed network, because many
things won't work ...

Andreas

cmaguire@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Cary Maguire) (01/29/91)

Greetings!  When I try to index directories under 1.0, several files
are skipped by the indexer, and only part of the directory contents
are thereby searched by Digital Librarian.  The files being indexed
are ASCII files without line breaks, and are located between 0-3
directories below the target directory.  Does anyone have any
information which could be of help here?

Many Thanks!

Camm
Internet: cmaguire@phoenix.princeton.edu
"O Son of Man!  Veiled in my immemorial being and in the ancient
eternity of Mine essence, I knew My love for thee; therefore I
created thee, have engraved on thee Mine image and revealed to thee
My beauty."
					Baha'u'llah