[comp.sys.next] Hard Disk Recording

cerberus@caen.engin.umich.edu (R Eric Bennett) (01/23/91)

I don't have a products and peripherals thingy so I was wondering...  What type
of Digital Hard Disk recording APPLICATIONS are available for the NeXT?
Anything akin to DECK with Audiomedia (or sound tools) on phe Mac or Spectral
Synthesis for the IBM.  If there is anything available, I could be able to buy
a NeXT for my studio much sooner than I'd planned.

Thanks,
Eric Bennett

cerberus@caen.engin.umich.edu (unix box ) | "Put a stamp on it!"
cerberus@itl.itd.umich.edu    (NeXT cube) |           -Fab 5 Freddy
"Don't make me wait... Come in to my house."    -Queen Latifah

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan23.051005.14864@engin.umich.edu> cerberus@caen.engin.umich.edu (R Eric Bennett) writes:
>I don't have a products and peripherals thingy so I was wondering...  What type
>of Digital Hard Disk recording APPLICATIONS are available for the NeXT?
>Anything akin to DECK with Audiomedia (or sound tools) on phe Mac or Spectral
>Synthesis for the IBM.  If there is anything available, I could be able to buy
>a NeXT for my studio much sooner than I'd planned.
>
>Thanks,
>Eric Bennett

>cerberus@caen.engin.umich.edu (unix box ) | "Put a stamp on it!"
>cerberus@itl.itd.umich.edu    (NeXT cube) |           -Fab 5 Freddy
>"Don't make me wait... Come in to my house."    -Queen Latifah

There are several products in the fall 1990 Software and Peripherals book.

1. A/D64x - Singular Solutions
            959 E. Colorado Blvd.
            Pasadena, Ca. 91106
            (818)792-9567

16bit delta-sigma analog to digital converter
Microphone preamp with phantom power
Independent digital AES/EBU input and output
Recording and editing applications
Objective-C recording object.
Sampling rates - 32, 44.1, 48k.
Also supports NeXT MonsterScope Oscilloscope and Spectrum Analyzer app.

Price: $1295   Availability: Now

2. Digital Ears - Metaresearch, Inc.
                  516 SE Morrison,
                  Suite M-1
                  Portland, OR 97214
                  (503)238-5728

Includes complete set of software tools
Tightly integrated hardware and software
DC linear A/D converter
Left and right channel level adjusment controls
Soundworks Software - based on a tape player interface.
Sampling rate - 44.1K

Price: $795    Availability: Now

3. DM-N Ariel Digital Microphone - Ariel Corp.
                                   433 River Road
                                   Highland Park, NJ 08904
                                   (201)249-2900

Compact case houses dual micrphone elements, preamps, and A/D converters
Two 16 bit analog-to-digital converters
The DSPtape recording application
Miniphone input jacks
Sampling rates - 88.2KHz down to 5.5KHz

Price: $595    Availability: Now

I plan to finish setting up my small music studio and my NeXTcube is on
its way.  The A/D64x looks like the best product for music since it
has digital input/output.  This means backing up to a DAT and restoring
from a DAT takes no special hardware.  Also it means you can master
on the NeXT in the digital domain and supply a master on DAT.  How many
small studios can boast having ADD or DDD capability.  Mine will.

Good luck, KeNT - still waiting for my cube.
--
/*  -The opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.    */
/*      For I can only express my own opinions.              */