[comp.sys.next] Alternatives to the NeXT printer?

yahnke@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Ross Yahnke, MACC) (01/29/91)

What alternatives to the NeXT printer have people heard
about? Is that port that drives the NeXT printer parallel?
What are the chances that someone could attach something
like, say, an HP DeskJet or LaserJet, or even, ahem, a LaserWriter?
Do I assume correctly that someone would have to create a
printer driver of some sort to make this work???

>>> yahnke@macc.wisc.edu <<<

anderson@dogie.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (01/29/91)

In article <1991Jan29.015157.28918@macc.wisc.edu> yahnke@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Ross Yahnke, MACC) writes:

>What alternatives to the NeXT printer have people heard
>about? Is that port that drives the NeXT printer parallel?
>What are the chances that someone could attach something
>like, say, an HP DeskJet or LaserJet, or even, ahem, a LaserWriter?
>Do I assume correctly that someone would have to create a
>printer driver of some sort to make this work???

Perhaps we should collaborate, since we live on the same
floor.  The documentation says you can attach a LaserWriter
directly to the serial port, which is just how you'd use
it on a PC.  I'm more concerned about using a LaserWriter
connected to the ethernet either through a FastPath or a
GatorBox (we have both kinds of nets up, turns out).

--
Jess Anderson <> Madison Academic Computing Center <> University of Wisconsin
Internet: anderson@macc.wisc.edu <-best, UUCP:{}!uwvax!macc.wisc.edu!anderson

In article <1991Jan29.015157.28918@macc.wisc.edu>
	yahnke@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Ross Yahnke, MACC) writes:
>What alternatives to the NeXT printer have people heard
>about?

PrintManager in 2.0 lists quite a few compatible printers.

>       Is that port that drives the NeXT printer parallel?

No, it's something weird:  (excuse the crude ASCII graphics)

	  5 4 3 2 1
	 ,---------.
	( o o o o o )
	 \ o o o o /
	  `-------'
	   9 8 7 6

Pin	Signal		Pin	Signal
1	LP CLK		6	GND
2	LP DATA IN	7	GND
3	LP DATA OUT 1	8	GND
4	LP DATA OUT 2	9	NC
5	LP PWR ENABLE

>What are the chances that someone could attach something
>like, say, an HP DeskJet or LaserJet, or even, ahem, a LaserWriter?

LaserWriter II NT and II NTX (but not II SC) printers have been
supported for as long as I remember as serial printers.  You can
get PostScript cartridges for LaserJet II and III printers.

>Do I assume correctly that someone would have to create a
>printer driver of some sort to make this work???

Only for non-PostScript printers.

					-=EPS=-

frank@urz.unibas.ch (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan29.015723.29234@macc.wisc.edu>, anderson@dogie.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) writes:
> ...  I'm more concerned about using a LaserWriter
> connected to the ethernet either through a FastPath or a
> GatorBox (we have both kinds of nets up, turns out).

With a GatorBox all you need is either GatorPrint or GatorShare (version 1.6.0).
Then you just install a remote printer on the next according to the procedure
described in the Gator manuals (they have remarks for NeXT users).  I havn't
tried it on a NeXT yet, as I don't have mine yet. But printing from a unix
host is no problem.

-Robert