[net.auto] Getting Gas with the Engine On

stadlin@homxb.UUCP (Art Stadlin) (11/13/85)

Every gas station that I have been to has a sign informing
customers to turn off their engines while refueling.

Quite often while I am at the pump getting gas, someone else
will pull up, leave the engine running, ask for $10, and the
attendant will refuel the car.  Isn't this dangerous?
Shouldn't the attendant know better and ask the customer
to shut the engine off first?

Has anyone ever been hurt or killed by filling a gas tank
while the engine is running?  If so, it certainly happens
too infrequently to make most people concerned about it.

If someone tries to get gas with their engine on, should I
  1)  Ask them to turn their engine off, or
  2)  Ask the attendant to ask the customer to turn it off, or
  3)  Run for cover until the danger has passed?
--
  \\\
   \\\\                                  Art Stadlin

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (11/17/85)

In article <912@homxb.UUCP> stadlin@homxb.UUCP (Art Stadlin) writes:

>Quite often while I am at the pump getting gas, someone else
>will pull up, leave the engine running, ask for $10, and the
>attendant will refuel the car.  Isn't this dangerous?
>Shouldn't the attendant know better and ask the customer
>to shut the engine off first?
>
>Has anyone ever been hurt or killed by filling a gas tank
>while the engine is running?  If so, it certainly happens
>too infrequently to make most people concerned about it.

In CART, Formula 1 (until 1983) and endurance racing, fillups are done
with the engine running.  The risk is caused by the extreme
flammability of gasoline, and that's why the pit crews (and the
driver) wear asbestos suits.  In CART, there are occasional small
fires, so it is a risk, especially in a gas station where neither the
attendant nor the customers are professionals prepared to deal with an
emergency like this.

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watdcsu!haapanen
Im all lost in the Supermarket
I can no longer shop happily
I came in here for that special offer
Guaranteed personality				 (c) The Clash, 1979

farmer@ICO.UUCP (11/18/85)

I have to admit that I am not convinced that leaving the car running is more
dangerous that restarting it after you have filled the tank.

mth@drutx.UUCP (HamiltonM) (11/19/85)

The only danger I have heard is this:

	The fumes from the pouring gas somehow reach
	the engine and can be ignited by a stray spark.
	The ensuing flame propagates back to the gas
	tank and everything goes up.

I personally have heard this happen only once. So it must
be rare. If you are really worried about it, either remind
them of the warning sign (usually present on the pump island)
or go to another station.

					Mark Hamilton