[comp.sys.next] IRC on NeXT

matthews@lewhoosh.umd.edu (Mike Matthews) (01/30/91)

Thank you to all who responded to my ircd query.

Turns out it was running all the time, just wasn't putting itself in the
background like a good daemon should.  What causes this, and if it's
intentional, I don't know.

But I have /usr/local/irc/ircd & in there and it works just fine.
------
Mike Matthews, matthews@lewhoosh.umd.edu (NeXT)/matthews@umdd (bitnet)
------
Modern psychology takes completely for granted that behavior and neural function
are perfectly correlated, that one is completely caused by the other.  There is
no separate soul or lifeforce to stick a finger into the brain now and then and
make neural cells do what they would not otherwise.  Actually, of course, this
is a working assumption only....It is quite conceivable that someday the
assumption will have to be rejected.  But it is important also to see that we
have not reached that day yet: the working assumption is a necessary one and
there is no real evidence opposed to it.  Our failure to solve a problem so
far does not make it insoluble.  One cannot logically be a determinist in
physics and biology, and a mystic in psychology.
- D. O. Hebb, Organization of Behavior:  A Neuropsychological Theory, 1949

In article <7923@umd5.umd.edu> matthews@lewhoosh.umd.edu (Mike Matthews) writes:
>But I have /usr/local/irc/ircd & in there and it works just fine.

I prefer
	echo exec /usr/local/irc/ircd|su -f daemon &

There's no good reason for ircd to run as root, and I won't
certify that it won't misbehave if you let it.

					-=EPS=-

matthews@lewhoosh.umd.edu (Mike Matthews) (01/31/91)

In article <1253@toaster.SFSU.EDU> eps@cs.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>I prefer
>	echo exec /usr/local/irc/ircd|su -f daemon &

>There's no good reason for ircd to run as root, and I won't
>certify that it won't misbehave if you let it.

>					-=EPS=-

Or you can have its setuid-on-execute bit set.

I created a 'dummy' user irc, and have all of the files owned by it.  I also
made a group irc, so the person who really does all of the ircd handling can
install and fix and whatnot the files without becoming root.  Now he just
su's into irc, but before we didn't have it set up that way.

Either way, the same thing happens.

(Currently, lewhoosh's ircd is down again, for unknown reasons; it just kind
of quit)
------
Mike Matthews, matthews@lewhoosh.umd.edu (NeXT)/matthews@umdd (bitnet)
------
When you do not know what you are doing, do it neatly.