[comp.sys.next] Digital Webster Pictures

cmaguire@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Cary Maguire) (01/29/91)

Greetings again!  Does anyone know how to access the pictures in the
Webster.app directory without loading Digital Webster itself?  The
files are in .tiff and .rtf pairs, and when one attempts to open the
.tiff, one finds that they are "unsupported tiff" files.  The .rtf
files only contain text that accompanies the pictures.  I wouldn't
mind accessing them through Webster, but when I attempt to define a
number of words corresponding to a given picture, I often don't get
anything.  The set of pointers to the picture files seems to be rather
non-trivial.  Thanks for any info.!

Camm

Internet: cmaguire@phoenix.princeton.edu
"O Son of Man!  Veiled in my immemorial being and in the ancient
eternity of Mine essence, I knew My love for thee; therefore I
created thee, have engraved on thee Mine image and revealed to thee
My beauty."
					Baha'u'llah

jfreem@uncecs.edu (Joe Freeman) (01/30/91)

In article <5770@idunno.Princeton.EDU> cmaguire@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Cary Maguire) writes:

>Greetings again!  Does anyone know how to access the pictures in the
>Webster.app directory without loading Digital Webster itself?  The
Under 1.0 the pictures were in a compressed format that wasn't supported by
the kit?
Under 2.0 you can just click on the pictures and they open in Icon.  The
TIFF support has been expanded under 2.0

Did I answer the right question?

--
Joe Freeman	jfreem@uncecs.edu
The opinions espressed here are my own and are not shared by my employer  or

aozer@next.com (Ali Ozer) (01/31/91)

In article <5770@idunno.Princeton.EDU> Cary Maguire writes:
>Greetings again!  Does anyone know how to access the pictures in the
>Webster.app directory without loading Digital Webster itself?

Release 2.0 can open these TIFF files.  Under 1.0, your best best is to
display them using Webster and screen capture and save them using Icon.
That way you'll end up with non-compressed TIFF files that should load
into any app.

Ali Ozer
Ali_Ozer@NeXT.com