[comp.sys.next] Mathematica upgrade

smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu (Dr. William V. Smith) (01/30/91)

Has anyone heard when the Mathematica 2.0 upgrade will be ready for
the NeXT?  A collegue down the hall has seen a beta[?] version and
says it has some excellent new features. How will NeXT distribute this
when it becomes available?
-Bill
--
            __________________Prof. William V. Smith____________________
EMail:  smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu  or  uunet!hamblin.math.byu.edu!smithw

mldemsey@cs.arizona.edu (Matthew L. Demsey) (01/30/91)

In article <SMITHW.91Jan29114936@hamblin.hamblin.math.byu.edu>, smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu (Dr. William V. Smith) writes:
|> Has anyone heard when the Mathematica 2.0 upgrade will be ready for
}> the NeXT?  A collegue down the hall has seen a beta[?] version and
]> says it has some excellent new features. How will NeXT distribute this
}> when it becomes available?
|> -Bill

   Supposively, as my campus rep informs me, when 2.0 is finally released,
NeXT will distribute it as it plans to distribute Improv - so it depends
on whether you've registered it or not, i guess... i emailed Wolfram
today asking to reconfirm this...

Loki

cs4ed3ap@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Tyldesley A) (01/30/91)

Does the old version of Mathematica work properly with OS 2.0? How much
space does it take up? And last but not least, what read news software is
there for the next that has post capabilities etc. and where can I get it?
Thanks in advance

Andrew

datran2 (01/31/91)

In article <27A66029.25323@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca> cs4ed3ap@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Tyldesley     A) writes:
>Does the old version of Mathematica work properly with OS 2.0? How much

I have had some problems with Mathematica.  Trying to calculate the
animation demo notebooks hung Mathematica.  I haven't tried a whole lot
but rather am biding my time waiting for the new release.  RSN I hope.

Steve

--
 #====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#
 #  Steve Boker           #  "Badgers, we don't have no stinking badgers"   #

pbiron@weber.ucsd.edu (Paul Biron) (01/31/91)

In article <SMITHW.91Jan29114936@hamblin.hamblin.math.byu.edu> smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu (Dr. William V. Smith) writes:
>Has anyone heard when the Mathematica 2.0 upgrade will be ready for
>the NeXT?  A collegue down the hall has seen a beta[?] version and
>says it has some excellent new features. How will NeXT distribute this
>when it becomes available?
>-Bill
>--
>            __________________Prof. William V. Smith____________________
>EMail:  smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu  or  uunet!hamblin.math.byu.edu!smithw
>SMail:          Math Dept. -- 314 TMCB; BYU; Provo, UT 84602 (USA)
>NeXTmail:                   smithw@mathnx.math.byu.edu
>Phone:            +1 801 378 2061         FAX:  +1 801 378 2800

I just got my OS2.0 upgrade the other day.  Along with that upgrade,
there is a "postcard" to send in to NeXT to get the upgrades on
Mathematica, Sybase, and ACL.  It says:

    Please complete the information below, tear off the card, and
    drop it in the mail by April 30, 1991.  These applications will
    be delivered on *2.88-MEGABYTE FLOPPY DISKS*, and begin shipping
    February of 1991.

Note that there is no "official" release date for the individual
apps, only that they should start shipping "sometime" in Feb.

I'm a little disappointed that they are only being shipped on floppies,
but I guess I can find someone around here who can copy them onto
optical for me.

Paul Biron     garp!pbiron@keynes.ucsd.edu    (can have NeXT attachments)
SnUG/SIGHaCK        pbiron@ucsd.edu           (normal net mail)

 Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
                         --Groucho Marx
STOP THE WAR IN THE GULF --- NOW !!!!!!!
Paul Biron      pbiron@ucsd.edu        (619) 534-5758