[comp.sys.next] DigLibrary and Frame

dcarpent@sjuphil.uucp (D. Carpenter) (01/30/91)

I just upgraded to OS 2.0 and I seem to be having what
could be a serious problem (for me, at least).  When I
re-index things that I have on-line, the Digital Librarian
ignores Framemaker files!  Since I've been using
Framemaker for about one and a half years, I have an
enormous amount of text saved in Frame files.  To be
unable to index this stuff and access it via the Digital
Librarian makes the DL useless for much of my work.  Has
anyone else experienced this problem.  I have read here
of problems of 2.0 DL not updating indexes created under
1.0, or even updating new indexes created under 2.0.
What happened?  Has DL been trashed in 2.0, or am I
missing something obvious?  Has anyone had a similar
experience with Framemaker files?

(By the way, I'm using the 2.0d version of Framemaker
that was made available at the last minute for those
upgrading to 2.0. I don't see how this would cause the
problem, however. I went through and re-saved several
files to see if this would make DL recognized them, but
it had no effect)

David Carpenter            dcarpent@sjuphil.UUCP
St. Joseph's University    dcarpent@sjuphil.sju.edu
Philadelphia, PA  19131

lane@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Christopher Lane) (02/01/91)

In <1991Jan30.154647.10832@sjuphil.uucp>, David Carpenter writes:
>When I re-index things that I have on-line, the Digital Librarian
>ignores Framemaker files!
>(By the way, I'm using the 2.0d version of Framemaker that was made
>available at the last minute for those upgrading to 2.0. I don't see
>how this would cause the problem, however. I went through and re-saved
>several files to see if this would make DL recognized them, but it had
>no effect)

The problem I found is that /usr/lib/indexing/frame-ascii is a symbolic link
to FrameToAscii which doesn't exist in (NeXT) 2.0.  I've seen messages about
copying this file from the 1.0 release but the release of FrameMaker 2.0d we
received had this file under FrameMaker.app/frame-ascii.  So to solve the
problem, I did:

	>cd /usr/lib/indexing
	>rm frame-ascii
	>ln -s /LocalApps/FrameMaker.app/frame-ascii

If you don't have FrameMaker.app/frame-ascii, then you'll have to grab
FrameToAscii from 1.0 and just place it in /usr/lib/indexing.

- Christopher

-------