[comp.sys.next] Memory: 4 Mbyte SIMMs for NeXtstation and installation

simon@alberta.uucp (Simon Tortike) (01/31/91)

Can anyone say what 4 Mbyte SIMMs can be bought to fit the NeXTstation
slab, currently with 8x1 Mb SIMMs installed?  I have no info about what
type of memory is required, except a note from the Nov_90_NextAnswers
which states that 8 data bit, no parity, 30 pin SIMMs, with speeds better
than 100 ns, are required --- but for what?  Nextstation or Cube or both?
I'd buy from NeXT, but no one is flush with cash up here right now.

Furthermore, does the replacement of 4 of the 1 Mb SIMMs leave one with
4x1 and 4x4 = 20 Mbytes of usable memory in the slab, and has anyone used the
1 Mbyte SIMMs that have been removed from the slab in a Mac II?

Apologies if a form of this query appeared already, I posted it last night
but we had some problem with the news.

W. Simon Tortike,                   | tel     : 403/492-3338
Dept of Mining, Metallurgical       | fax     : 403/492-7219
      and Petroleum Engineering,    | CA*net  : simon@cs.UAlberta.CA
University of Alberta,              | CA*net  : simon@mmpe.mineral.UAlberta.CA
Edmonton, AB, CANADA T6G 2G6.       |

simon@cs.ualberta.ca (Simon Tortike) (01/31/91)

--

tgingric@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Tyler S Gingrich) (01/31/91)

In article <simon.665279672@mmpe> simon@cs.ualberta.ca (Simon Tortike) writes:
>Can anyone say what 4 Mbyte SIMMs can be bought to fit the NeXTstation
>slab, currently with 8x1 Mb SIMMs installed?  I have no info about what
>type of memory is required, except a note from the Nov_90_NextAnswers
>which states that 8 data bit, no parity, 30 pin SIMMs, with speeds better
>than 100 ns, are required --- but for what?  Nextstation or Cube or both?
>I'd buy from NeXT, but no one is flush with cash up here right now.

I talked with Andrew Stone (Stone Design -- TextArt, Create, etc) yesterday
and he just ordered, received, and successfully installed 4Mb SIMMs purchased
from ???? for $189/4Mb.  This unnamed companies phone # is (405)332-6581.

The same memory Simms are required for both the Station & the Cube (although,
cube owners appear to worry about high vs. low profile SIMMs.)

>Furthermore, does the replacement of 4 of the 1 Mb SIMMs leave one with
>4x1 and 4x4 = 20 Mbytes of usable memory in the slab, and has anyone used the
>1 Mbyte SIMMs that have been removed from the slab in a Mac II?

Yes, you are left with 16Mb in 1 bank and 4Mb in the other bank = 20Mb.

SIMMs from the slab/cube are supposed to work in the Macs, but I haven't
PERSONNALY tried it.

Tyler

cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Chuck Herrick) (02/01/91)

   From: simon@cs.ualberta.ca (Simon Tortike)
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.next
   Date: 30 Jan 91 23:54:32 GMT
   Sender: news@cs.UAlberta.CA

   Can anyone say what 4 Mbyte SIMMs can be bought to fit the NeXTstation
   slab, currently with 8x1 Mb SIMMs installed?

concerning adding RAM to a NeXTstation, please get the latest version
of NextAnswers from the archive(s) and look at the answer given to
the question regarding "adding RAM"... and yes, NextAnswers can be
accessed from Dig*Lib* by index.
--
  The opinions expressed herein are mine and are in no way attributed
  to any of the many people for whom I work. Who they are is irrelevant.