One thing to be aware of is that if someone runs MailManager and
updates the aliases/picture database, the changes you made to
/LocalLibrary/images/People/passwd will be lost.

Rob Kedoin		rob@lighthouse.com
Lighthouse Design, Ltd
6516 Western Avenue Chevy Chase, MD 20815

jasmerb@OHSU.EDU (Bryce Jasmer) (02/01/91)

In article <> ddj@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu (Doug DeJulio) writes:
>This message is both an attempt to be useful and an attempt to see if
>I've done something really stupid.

Hopefully, this will also be useful information.

Let me describe the bare minimum that it took to set up mail pictures.
First, I'll use John Corey (aka Baker) as an example as I receive mail
from him often.

When I get mail from Baker, the From line looks like the following:
 From: John_Corey@next.com (John B. Corey Jr.)

The help files for Mail.app claim that you need a passwd file and an
alias file. I definitely needed the passwd file but found I didn't
need the aliases file. And like Doug said, the only thing you need in
the passwd file is the username and a colon.

Now, the thing that hung me up for a while was this important fact:
Even though the From line states John_Corey@next.com, it really must
be all lowercase. So the line in my passwd file is:

john_corey@next.com:

And the tiff file is "john_corey@next.com.tiff". Note that you should
ignore whatever is in parenthesis.

I hope this helps people avoid some headaches. Remember, *all lowercase*.

Bryce Jasmer

|   Bryce Jasmer       |       Oregon Health Sciences University            |
|   jasmerb@ohsu.edu   |  Biomedical Information Communication Center       |