[comp.sys.next] Fax/modem for NeXT

jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Joseph Chin) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan29.131126.26062@ulrik.uio.no> me@spirea.UiB.NO (My Account) writes:
>I saw recently a posting about a FAX/modem for the NeXT computer.  Does
>anyone have the manufacturers address, price, etc.?  How is it different
Dove Computer Corp., (919)763-7918, (919)251-9441 (fax). It works!

>from a "regular" FAX/modem?  Will a WorldPort Fax/Modem work? (Why not?)
Any fax modem can work with System 2.0 PROVIDED that they have the software
driver to interface with the fax server.

>It seems that I recall seeing an Everex fax/modem that works after the ROMs are upgraded to Class II - isn't class III the "newest" Fax spec...?
I think you got Group III and Class II mixed up! Group III is the most common
transmission standard (approx. 9600 bps) and is used by almost all the fax
machines and fax modems sold today. Class II is a standard set of commands
for interfacing with the fax modem, much like the AT command set for data
modems.

:-) Joe
jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca

 * "Kill the body and the head will die" (Hunter S. Thompson) *
 *    NeXT --> The ultimate electronic publishing platform!   *
 ********** Joseph Chin --> jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca *********

amm@NeXT.COM (Alan M. Marcum) (02/01/91)

In <1991Jan29.131126.26062@ulrik.uio.no> me@spirea.UiB.NO (My Account):
> ... an Everex fax/modem that works after the ROMs are upgraded to
> Class II - isn't class III the "newest" Fax spec...?

First, some clarification, since misunderstanding appears rampant.
'Course, the nomenclature chosen doesn't help matters any....

There are two different sorts of standards in the fax world (relating to
these issues): how the computer communicates with the modem, and how
fax machines (including modems) communicate with each other.

"Class 2" describes a pending standard for how a computer communicates
with a fax modem.  It is to fax modems as the Hayes AT command set pseudo-
standard is to data modems.  Note that this standard is still in the
balloting-updating-balloting stage.

"Group III" describes how one fax machine communicates with another,
over the phone lines.  It is to fax modes as V.32 (such as it is) is
to data modems.

The software NeXT ships in 2.0 includes support for Class 2 fax modems.
If a modem does not support Class 2 a custom modem driver would have
to be used.

Note that there's a small bug in 2.0: a symbolic link is missing for
the file Class2_Fax_Modem_Driver in /usr/lib/NextPrinter.  The symptom
of this: a known-compliant Class 2 modem, installed and configured
correctly in PrintManager as a Class 2 Fax Modem, does not work right.
The simple workaround: indicate in PrintManager that the modem is an
InterFax Fax Modem.  The simple fix: create the link; it should reference
Interfax_Fax_Modem_Driver, also in the /usr/lib/NextPrinter directory.

Regarding old InterFax fax modems (for a Mac, e.g.): according to Abaton,
the difference between the 24/96 and the 24/96 NX is more than just a
PROM change.  They will not be providing an upgrade from the 24/96 to a
24/96NX.  They will, though, provide a 30% discount for a 24/96 NX to
existing 24/96 Customers.  For more information, contact your Abaton
dealer or Abaton.
---
Alan M. Marcum
NeXT Technical Support
amm@NeXT.COM

mikec@wam.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) (02/01/91)

In article <240@rosie.NeXT.COM> amm@NeXT.COM (Alan M. Marcum) writes:

>Regarding old InterFax fax modems (for a Mac, e.g.): according to Abaton,
>the difference between the 24/96 and the 24/96 NX is more than just a
>PROM change.  They will not be providing an upgrade from the 24/96 to a
>24/96NX.  They will, though, provide a 30% discount for a 24/96 NX to
>existing 24/96 Customers.  For more information, contact your Abaton
>dealer or Abaton.
>---

My question is this: Why should I support a manufacturer who has already
screwed me once? I, for one, will not seek to purchase another Abaton
Interfax. I will sell the one I have to an (unsuspecting) Mac user, and
purchase the Dove product when it becomes available. I urge other
Abaton owners to do the same.

MikeC

PS: BTW, even if they have a VERY good reason for not upgrading older modems
(eg, completely different circuit board layout that's incompatible with the
old ones), they should at least offer a trade (such as the NeXT 030/040, or
Apple's IIfx upgrade).

Michael D. Callaghan, MDC Designs, University of Maryland
mikec@wam.umd.edu

anderson@dogie.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (02/01/91)

In article <1991Jan31.235504.16805@wam.umd.edu> mikec@wam.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) writes:

>My question is this: Why should I support a manufacturer who has already
>screwed me once? I, for one, will not seek to purchase another Abaton
>Interfax. I will sell the one I have to an (unsuspecting) Mac user, and
>purchase the Dove product when it becomes available. I urge other
>Abaton owners to do the same.

Do I misunderstand this?  What it looks like to me is that
you're willing to tell the wide world you think your vendor
screwed you, and in almost the next breath you tell us
you'll knowingly pass the grief on to some other user.  Or
does "unsuspecting Mac user" mean something different from a
"Mac user who doesn't suspect" a (presumed) defect, in your
usage?  Unless it does, I would call that a mighty peculiar
morality and thank you for the warning.

--
Jess Anderson <> Madison Academic Computing Center <> University of Wisconsin
Internet: anderson@macc.wisc.edu <-best, UUCP:{}!uwvax!macc.wisc.edu!anderson