[comp.sys.next] Webster tiffs

burkhold@cs.ubc.ca (Thomas Burkholder) (01/30/91)

This is in answer to Camm's posting, about
the incompatibility of Webster tiffs.

Tiffs in the Websters dictionary are deliberately
unsupported, I think due to a copyright thing
with Webster... unless you wish to hack your
own program to look at "unsupported tiffs"
(remember you may have problems finding out just
exactly what the unsupported format is) you
will probably do it the way I do; use a screengrab
option in Icon, or even Scene (bleck).

As far as actually getting Webster to display the
desired picture, if the obvious words don't work,
change the option in Webster preferences to "other
word", which ought to bring up all definitions of
other words, which happen to contain the entered word.
For instance, try defining "dogs" with the "other
word" option set in Webster's preferences panel.

Just wandering thru...
Thomas Burkholder
burkhold@cs.ubc.ca

scott@texnext.gac.edu (Scott Hess) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan29.183843.15489@cs.ubc.ca> burkhold@cs.ubc.ca (Thomas Burkholder) writes:
   Tiffs in the Websters dictionary are deliberately
   unsupported, I think due to a copyright thing
   with Webster... unless you wish to hack your
   own program to look at "unsupported tiffs"
   (remember you may have problems finding out just
   exactly what the unsupported format is) you
   will probably do it the way I do; use a screengrab
   option in Icon, or even Scene (bleck).

Is this all WRT 1.0?  It seems to work fine for me in 2.0.  So, maybe
an even better answer would be to upgrade :-)

Yet another reason to upgrade to 2.0 . . .
--
scott hess                      scott@gac.edu
Independent NeXT Developer	GAC Undergrad

wiml@milton.u.washington.edu (William Lewis) (02/01/91)

In article <1991Jan29.183843.15489@cs.ubc.ca> burkhold@cs.ubc.ca (Thomas Burkholder) writes:
>Tiffs in the Websters dictionary are deliberately
>unsupported, I think due to a copyright thing
>with Webster... unless you wish to hack your
>own program to look at "unsupported tiffs"
>(remember you may have problems finding out just
>exactly what the unsupported format is)

   Actually, "unsupported" seems to mean just that. The Webster TIFFs
just happen to be compressed in a way that NeXT's Bitmap object can't
read. The tiff library on uunet.uu.net (pub/graphics/tiff.v2.2... I think)
will read them with no difficulty.

--
 wiml@milton.acs.washington.edu       Seattle, Washington
     (William Lewis)   |  47 41' 15" N   122 42' 58" W