[comp.sys.next] Vulnerability to Viruses <was: SoftPC>

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (01/28/91)

anderson@dogie.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) writes:

>If, as you say, the NeXT is completely immune to virus
>infection, then SoftPC could at worst introduce viruses into
>PC software on the NeXT, right?

	Not necessarily. Since PC-class viruses typically attempt to write
to COMMAND.COM, the boot sector, application or data files, if one sets
the UNIX permissions wisely, these objects will remain unaffected by all
but the priviledged users (who shouldn't be running these applications
anyway).

-----------------
uunet!media!ka3ovk!raysnec!shwake				shwake@rsxtech

glang@Autodesk.COM (Gary Lang) (02/01/91)

I think what Eric meant was that Agenda was a virus. It was tongue in
cheek.

To which i say: when someone has something as powerful on the NeXT as
Agenda, out the window it goes.

Also, I've seen corporate recommenders say things like "the
availability of SoftPC makes buying into NeXT easier because I can buy
200 machines and not upset anybody as I phase out the use of PC's over
the course of 3 years". I've heard this from several people, and it
usually is in the context of huge sales like this one that SoftPC
comes into play.

So if you're sitting there saying that you can't switch to the NeXT
because of all of the apps people are using and would have to throw
away, you don't have to say it anymore.

Then in 3 years, all of the really great NeXT versions will be
available and you'll be home free...all of the benefits and none of
the disadvantages of the PC, from where I sit.

-g
--
Gary T. Lang  (415)332-2344 x2702
Autodesk, Inc.