[comp.sys.next] Soft-PC

cs141043@brunix (Ronald Antony) (09/11/89)

There was a rumor some time ago, that Insignia would port it's SoftPC
package to the NeXT. SoftPC is a software simulation of an entire IBM
PC and runs on a MacII about as fast as an original IBM PC. So it
should be quite fast on a NeXT, if it uses all the resources
correctly. (The clock speed alone is nearly twice as fast on the NeXT)
So has anyone heared of it again? It really would make sence to be
able to use some PC programs on the NeXT. Not that I would like to go
back to the PC, but still there are is a lot of software out there
which is simply a busines standard and you either have to have two
computers or a window running SoftPC. I prefer the later. (The mere
thought of two keyboards, a LOT of cables, ... And that after the NeXT
successfully reduced the number of cables!)
Any kind of constructive answers are highly welcome.
Ron

quark@asylum.SF.CA.US (Dave Hull) (01/31/91)

ersys!drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Adrian Smith) writes:

>Has anyone heard anything about beta test Soft-PC? I understand it should
>be around for testers RSN (I've heard as soon as next week), but all I
>keep hearing are rumours...

We've already allocated all of our beta copies.  We're keeping it small this
time around due to a shortage of people to corrilate and respond to beta info.

>I've been told it's a 386 with 387 supporting VGA and LIM EMS. Can anyone
>verify this???

SoftPC 2.0 for the NeXT will emulate a 286 with 287 supporting EGA and LIM EMS.

>Drin

--Dave Hull
  Insignia tech support.
>          -----------------------------------------------------------
>         /                                                          /
>        /   If Saddam Hussein is forced to pull out of Kuwait      /
>       /    could you call it Kuwaitus Interruptus?               /
>      /                                                          /
>     /      Internet: c225-063@sol.ucs.ualberta.ca              /
>    /                 c291-52@atropos.ucs.ualberta.ca          /
>   /                                                          /
>   -----------------------------------------------------------

- As soon as you have made  :              I am                  -
- a thought, laugh at it.   :      quark@asylum.sf.cs.us         -
-     --Lao Tse             :   and I have many opinions...      _

bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) (02/01/91)

In article <13467@asylum.SF.CA.US> quark@asylum.SF.CA.US (Dave Hull) writes:
>ersys!drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Adrian Smith) writes:
>
>>Has anyone heard anything about beta test Soft-PC? I understand it should
>> [text deleted --SJB]
>
>>I've been told it's a 386 with 387 supporting VGA and LIM EMS. Can anyone
>>verify this???
>
>SoftPC 2.0 for the NeXT will emulate a 286 with 287 supporting EGA and LIM EMS.

     Will it fully emulate a 286 w/287?  Or just in real mode?

>>Drin
>
>--Dave Hull
>  Insignia tech support.
>>          -----------------------------------------------------------
>>         /                                                          /
>>        /   If Saddam Hussein is forced to pull out of Kuwait      /
>>       /    could you call it Kuwaitus Interruptus?               /
>>      /                                                          /
>>     /      Internet: c225-063@sol.ucs.ualberta.ca              /
>>    /                 c291-52@atropos.ucs.ualberta.ca          /
>>   /                                                          /
>>   -----------------------------------------------------------
>
>--

>- As soon as you have made  :              I am                  -
>- a thought, laugh at it.   :      quark@asylum.sf.cs.us         -
>-     --Lao Tse             :   and I have many opinions...      _

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
                                  Systems Programming
                                  Northern Illinois University
                                  DeKalb, Illinois 60115
* Internet:       bennett@cs.niu.edu                                 *
* BITNET:         A01SJB1@NIU                                        *
*  "WAR is the HEALTH of the STATE"  --Albert Jay Nock (I think:-)   *

quark@asylum.SF.CA.US (Dave Hull) (02/02/91)

bennett@cs.niu.edu wrote:
>>SoftPC 2.0 for the NeXT will emulate a 286 with 287 supporting EGA and
>>LIM EMS.

     >Will it fully emulate a 286 w/287?  Or just in real mode?

Real mode only.