[net.auto] VW GTI Turbo?

gordon@cae780.UUCP (Brian Gordon) (11/14/85)

I saw an interesting car this morning on a local freeway.  It had
international plates with CA plates bolted over them, and looked like
a typical black '85 VW Golf GTI, but the chrome name tags declared it
to be TURBO.  Have I just missed them before, or is this a rare beast?

Anybody out there driven one?

FROM:   Brian G. Gordon, CAE Systems Division of Tektronix, Inc.
UUCP:   tektronix!teklds!cae780!gordon
	{ihnp4, decvax!decwrl}!amdcad!cae780!gordon
        {nsc, hplabs, resonex, qubix, leadsv}!cae780!gordon
USNAIL: 5302 Betsy Ross Drive, Santa Clara, CA  95054
AT&T:   (408)727-1234

Down 71 1/4 pounds, and need to gain a couple back ...

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (11/17/85)

In article <1577@cae780.UUCP> gordon@cae780.UUCP (Brian Gordon) writes:

>I saw an interesting car this morning on a local freeway.  It had
>international plates with CA plates bolted over them, and looked like
>a typical black '85 VW Golf GTI, but the chrome name tags declared it
>to be TURBO.  Have I just missed them before, or is this a rare beast?

Either the guy had just slapped a 'turbo' badge onto a normal GTI
(tacky!) or else it was an aftermarket installation (by Callaway or
someone else).  VW does not have any gasoline turbo engines available;
the GTI will receive one of the new VW G-superchargers in a year
or two, though, along with 4-wheel drive.  VW uses turbos in lots
of diesel engines, though...

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watdcsu!haapanen
I'm all lost in the Supermarket
I can no longer shop happily
I came in here for that special offer
Guaranteed personality				 (c) The Clash, 1979

schley@mmm.UUCP (Steve Schley) (11/22/85)

In article <1889@watdcsu.UUCP> haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) writes:
>In article <1577@cae780.UUCP> gordon@cae780.UUCP (Brian Gordon) writes:
>
>>I saw an interesting car this morning on a local freeway.  It had
>>international plates with CA plates bolted over them, and looked like
>>a typical black '85 VW Golf GTI, but the chrome name tags declared it
>>to be TURBO.  Have I just missed them before, or is this a rare beast?
>
>Either the guy had just slapped a 'turbo' badge onto a normal GTI
>(tacky!) or else it was an aftermarket installation (by Callaway or
>someone else).  VW does not have any gasoline turbo engines available;
>the GTI will receive one of the new VW G-superchargers in a year
>or two, though, along with 4-wheel drive.  VW uses turbos in lots
>of diesel engines, though...

I'm familiar with the aftermarket turbos for VWs, and I've heard about
the twin-cam engine for the mid-'86 Scirocco (why not the GTI/GLI?
moan, moan...).

Can someone enlighten me about this "G-supercharger"?  And what are the
pros/cons of VW Synchro versus Audi Quattro for all-wheel-drive?

--
	Steve Schley

	ihnp4!mmm!schley