[comp.sys.next] Copy extended 2.0 to external drive

stung@greatwhite.cs.indiana.edu (Sho-Huan Simon Tung) (02/02/91)

I am going to receive an external drive for my NeXTstation. I would
like to have the entire software release 2.0 on my external drive and
be able to boot from either the internal drive or the external drive
in case one of them fails.

Can I simply takes the external drive to my school's NeXT support
center, builds the drive with their machine, copies the software to the
drive, and takes the drive home and connect it? What should I do if I
would like to switch the boot drive?

Thanks in advance!

Simon Tung
Indiana University

matthews@lewhoosh.umd.edu (Mike Matthews) (02/02/91)

In article <1991Feb1.174152.13616@news.cs.indiana.edu> stung@greatwhite.cs.indiana.edu (Sho-Huan Simon Tung) writes:
>I am going to receive an external drive for my NeXTstation. I would
>like to have the entire software release 2.0 on my external drive and
>be able to boot from either the internal drive or the external drive
>in case one of them fails.

How big is this external hard drive?  Well, actually, that isn't too
important.  The important thing is to keep the internal bootable, you will
lose about 50-80 megs or so, at least I would imagine.

>Can I simply takes the external drive to my school's NeXT support
>center, builds the drive with their machine, copies the software to the
>drive, and takes the drive home and connect it? What should I do if I
>would like to switch the boot drive?

You are legally entitled to do that, can't say for sure whether your school
center will do it.  Can't see why not, either.

Switching the boot drive is relatively easy.  The internal drive has SCSI ID
1, so just make the external 0 to boot off the external or 2 to boot off the
internal (any number higher than 1 will do).  My external drive has a little
rotating switch-type deal making this very easy to do.

>Thanks in advance!

>Simon Tung
>Indiana University
------
Mike Matthews, matthews@lewhoosh.umd.edu (NeXT)/matthews@umdd (bitnet)
------
University: A modern school where football is taught.