[comp.sys.next] Help: New 3.5" Drives

ck32+@andrew.cmu.edu (Chris Wei-Tae Kim) (01/30/91)

Howdy, I heard that there are new high capacity 3.5" drives coming out
soon, at least I know that Fujisu have 510meg 3.5" drive but they
haven't start shipping yet. Does anyone know more details on this? When
would they have it on market and how much will it be? What are the other
alternatives. How about 400meg internal HD that comes with new stations?
It would be nice if I can have 300++meg inside the slab rather than an
external(external drives require SCSI-2 cables and they too expansive).
Thanks.

tjb@unhd.unh.edu (Thomas J. Baker) (02/01/91)

In article <AbdQh9200WB5A7GXNb@andrew.cmu.edu> ck32+@andrew.cmu.edu (Chris Wei-Tae Kim) writes:
>Howdy, I heard that there are new high capacity 3.5" drives coming out
>soon, at least I know that Fujisu have 510meg 3.5" drive but they
>haven't start shipping yet. Does anyone know more details on this? When
>would they have it on market and how much will it be? What are the other
>alternatives. How about 400meg internal HD that comes with new stations?
>It would be nice if I can have 300++meg inside the slab rather than an
>external(external drives require SCSI-2 cables and they too expansive).
>Thanks.

I called Alliance Peripheral Systems about I drive I saw announced in MacWeek
a couple of months back.  It is the Maxtor LXT-535, a 535Mb half-height 3 1/2
inch drive with an access time of 12 to 13 milliseconds.  According to the
article, it has an asyncronous data transfer rate of 3 MB/second and a
syncronous rate of 5 MB/second.  Maxtor is also making the LXT-437, a 437Mb
drive with similiar stats.  OEM prices are $1450 for the LXT-535 and $1250
for the LXT-437.

I was sick of waiting for vaporware and had decided on a Wren V, but when they
said "mid February" for the new Maxtors, I decided to wait.

More info when I get it...

tjb

| INTERNET: tjb@mozz.unh.edu                  USPS:           Thomas Baker |
|   USENET: uunet!unhd.unh.edu!tjb                   Distributed Computing |
|     NeXT: tjb@IceCube.unh.edu                        Kingsbury Hall, UNH |

IceCube (Thomas J. Baker) (02/03/91)

In article <1991Jan31.191634.3745@unhd.unh.edu> tjb@unhd.unh.edu (Thomas J. Baker) writes:

>I called Alliance Peripheral Systems about I drive I saw announced in MacWeek
>a couple of months back.  It is the Maxtor LXT-535, a 535Mb half-height 3 1/2
>inch drive with an access time of 12 to 13 milliseconds.  According to the
>article, it has an asyncronous data transfer rate of 3 MB/second and a
>syncronous rate of 5 MB/second.  Maxtor is also making the LXT-437, a 437Mb
>drive with similiar stats.  OEM prices are $1450 for the LXT-535 and $1250
>for the LXT-437.

While browsing through WhAT's NeXT, the Boston Computer Society's NeXT
newsletter, I came across an article stating that two half height drives
would not fit in one full height bay.  I had planned on getting a previously
described Maxtor 535 Mb drive and adding a used Quantum 210 Mb drive, for
as much disk space as a Wren V, with moderate performance gains by having
swap space (along with other heavily accessed read-only areas) on the second
drive.  But alas, I'm told it won't fit.

So I tear my cube apart, borrow a friends not-in-use 20 Mb half height drive,
and see for myself that it won't fit.  But it does...

Cutting to the chase...

Has anyone else put two half height drives in the upper bay of a cube?  Is
there anywhere I can pick up a mounting bracket to make life easier for this
setup?  Can the power supply handle two hard drives and an optical?  Are there
heat considerations to worry about?  Should I just say forget it and get a
Wren V?

Any insight would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

rob@lighthouse.com (02/04/91)

Thomasd J. Baker writes:

>Has anyone else put two half height drives in the upper bay of a cube?  Is
>there anywhere I can pick up a mounting bracket to make life easier for this
>setup?  Can the power supply handle two hard drives and an optical?  Are there
>heat considerations to worry about?  Should I just say forget it and get a
>Wren V?

All of the cubes that we have only have two power cables leading from
the power supply.  Does anyone know if the latest and greatest cubes
ship with more power leads ?  Has anyone heard of some upgrade
procedure to provide more power cables from the power supply ?

Rob Kedoin		rob@lighthouse.com
Lighthouse Design, Ltd
6516 Western Avenue Chevy Chase, MD 20815