[comp.sys.next] Some questions

mheubi@.uucp (Heubi Matthias) (10/05/90)

Hi! I just got my (ugly old) NeXT. (I will get e free update to the '40 soon)

So, here are some (probably often asked) questions:

- How can I add some new Group-ID's to my System ??
  It seems, that it doesn't look after the groups and passwd files.
  (It uses the netinfo instead)

- Is an Optical Disk always mounted in the users home-directory, or is there
  a way to mount it somewhere else in the tree?

- How save are Optical Disks *really* ? I read a lot about dust-problems
  and data-loss on this net.

- Is there no Selector-Object Class in the IB like the one, that's used in the
  digital Librarian. (It seems to be a inherited ScrollView class)

That's it for now. Any advises are greatly appreciated.

BTW> Look out for a Multi-Player Action Game through Ethernet...
     (No rumours please, I'm still working on the concepts)

Matthew                           the NeXT question will follow soon :-)

They told me, that my English still is bad...

cyliao@hardy.u.washington.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (10/08/90)

In article <375@itrpe.UUCP> mheubi@.uucp (Heubi Matthias) writes:
>- Is an Optical Disk always mounted in the users home-directory, or is there
>  a way to mount it somewhere else in the tree?

	no, you can mount it anywhere you want... just select a directory
	before you mount the disk... of couse, it must be a directory in
	which you have access to

>- How save are Optical Disks *really* ? I read a lot about dust-problems
>  and data-loss on this net.

	This is a problme for older cubes which had fan sucking out the
	air from the cube.>

cyliao@wam.umd.edu     		o NeXT :  I put main frame power on two chips.
      @epsl.umd.edu		o people: We put main flame power on two guys.
      @bagend.eng.umd.edu       o ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
 xxxxx@xxxxx.xxx.xxx (reserved)	o RC + Apple // + Classic Music + NeXT = cyliao

paul@surf.sics.bu.oz (Paul Davis) (10/09/90)

cyliao@wam.umd.edu quotes mheubi@uucp:
and then writes:
This is a problme for older cubes which had fan sucking out the
air from the cube.

OH NO!  I just checked and my fan sucks!  Air out of the cube I mean;-)
Is there a recommended way to remedy this?  Can one open the cube and reverse
the fan?  Should I tape over the OD slot when it is not in use (most of the
time)?

paul

------------------------------- cut here -----------------------------------
Paul Davis                       Internet/AUSNET: paul@terrapin.bus.bu.oz.au
School of Business               Mail to: P.O. Box 65
Bond University                           Bond University
phone: (075) 952 291  fax: 953 3220       QLD 4229 Australia

        Let my inspiration flow, in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...
                           Terrapin (work)Station...

 *** Founder, President and co-member of the Australian NeXT User's Group ***

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (10/12/90)

>cyliao@wam.umd.edu quotes mheubi@uucp:
>>- How save are Optical Disks *really* ? I read a lot about dust-problems
>>  and data-loss on this net.

I don't have any problems with the disks. I had once a problem with
the drive, but that was a hardware failure. My experiance is, that as
long as you don't leave the disks inserted all the time, but just
mount them as you need them and then unmount them again, there is
little danger to have problems. Also if there should be problems, I've
heard that careful cleaning resloves it most of the time.

Ronald

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."  Bernhard Shaw | rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet

jeng@ecse.rpi.edu (David Jeng) (12/07/90)

Could anyone in the news group answer the following questions for me?

	(1) Is the Mac WriteNow format compatible with the Next
	    WriteNow format? If not, does there exist a program
	    which can do convertion from one to the other?
	(2) Same question as (1) for any drawing program.
	(3) Is there an HP DeskJet driver for Next? How difficult
	    it is to connect a DeskJet to a Next?

For your information, I'm a Mac user and considering to buy a Next.
Thanks.

David Jeng
ECSE Department
Rensselaer Polytechnic Inst.
jeng@ecse.rpi.edu

t68@nikhefh.nikhef.nl (Jos Vermaseren) (02/04/91)

I am sorry if I am the zillionth person to ask here.
I am about buying a NeXT station and am wondering what is needed for
a: hooking up a 660 Mb hard disk
b: hooking up a SyQuest drive
c: putting in bigger SIMMs
I was told that there may be some problems with Mac incompatibilities, so
that hooking up a drive that is ready for a Mac may not work ( some vague
mumblings about ROM incompatibilities (?) ).
Can one just order 4 Mbyte SIMMs and replace the 1 Mbyte SIMMs?
Should they be 80 nsec or is 100nsec also fine?

Please reply to t68@nikhef.nl
Thanks

Jos Vermaseren