[net.auto] Sad Story About Torquing Wheel Bolts

gnosis@fluke.UUCP (Chris Villani) (10/02/85)

In a recent article about replacing Honda rotors and bearings
a gentleman mentioned that he torqued down his wheel bolts.
It isn't clear in his article how he performed the torquing
procedure, it may have been fine, but I was reminded of a
sad story the I recount here as an expression of caution to us
all: A couple of years ago a young women had some ordinary brake
work done on a 76 BMW 2002 at a shop in Bellevue, WA (this is
near Seattle).  This shop specialized in such vehicles.  A
newly hired 'mechanic' remounted the wheels (alloy rims by the
way).  Some where he got the notion that the wheel bolts needed
to be "torqued down".  He did so with all the force the shops
impact wrench could muster.  A job well done he thought.
Now the sad part.  As the women was driving across the Evergreen
Point Floating Bridge the drivers side front rim fractured around
the bolt pattern.  The subsequent crash killed both she and her
baby.  Follow up investigation found two more rims failing in the
same mode.  The bolts had been over torqued (alloy rims are more
sensitive than steelL.

Please be careful!! and be sure the mechanic working
on such critical systems of your car is competent if you aren't
performing the operations yourself.

Chris Villani
Fluke

rls@ihu1g.UUCP (r.l. schieve) (10/04/85)

> newly hired 'mechanic' remounted the wheels (alloy rims by the
> way).  Some where he got the notion that the wheel bolts needed
> to be "torqued down".  He did so with all the force the shops
> impact wrench could muster.  A job well done he thought.
> Now the sad part.  As the women was driving across the Evergreen
> Point Floating Bridge the drivers side front rim fractured around
> the bolt pattern.  The subsequent crash killed both she and her
> baby.  Follow up investigation found two more rims failing in the
> same mode.  The bolts had been over torqued (alloy rims are more
> sensitive than steelL.
>
> Please be careful!! and be sure the mechanic working
> on such critical systems of your car is competent if you aren't
> performing the operations yourself.
>
> Chris Villani
> Fluke

Alloy rims also usually go with crome lug nuts.  Any mechanic
using an impact wrench on my chrome plated lugs won't here the
end of it until he gets me a new set.  It is hard enough to keep
them from rusting without someone tearing up the chrome.

Also, with today's push for lighter cars, front disk brake rotors
are not as heavy as they used to be.  A friend with a 2 year old
mid-sized Dodge had to have his rotors replaced because the lug
nuts were tightened improperly.  It seems that the uneven pressure
contributed to the warping of his rotors, ruining his front brakes.

				Rick Schieve
				....ihnp4!ihu1g!rls

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (10/07/85)

In article <1484@vax3.fluke.UUCP> gnosis@fluke.UUCP (Chris Villani) writes:
>newly hired 'mechanic' remounted the wheels (alloy rims by the
>way).  Some where he got the notion that the wheel bolts needed
>to be "torqued down".  He did so with all the force the shops
>impact wrench could muster.  A job well done he thought.

I said I use a torque wrench on my lug nuts. That means they get put
on with a torque of exactly 45 foot-lbs. The reason I, and probably
most mechanics, use a torque wrench is to AVOID over-tightening lug
nuts. You don't need special equipment to act like a gorilla.

Do I also have to explain that to tighten the nuts you turn clockwise
and to loosen them you turn counter-clockwise? Cripes! (please, no
jokes about digital watches. freshmen, please restrain yourselves.)
--
 Arthur Rudolph believed that technology is morally neutral and so,
therefore, are those who create it.

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749-5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.ARPA

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (10/07/85)

I think the saddest part of this story is that the person telling it
hasn't learned anything from the tragedy; he doesn't understand that
there is such a thing as a correct torque, not simply enough torque,
and the way to achieve it is by using a torque wrench.
--

gnosis@fluke.UUCP (Chris Villani) (10/09/85)

In article <4660@amdcad.UUCP> phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:
>In article <1484@vax3.fluke.UUCP> gnosis@fluke.UUCP (Chris Villani) writes:
>>newly hired 'mechanic' remounted the wheels (alloy rims by the
>>way).  Some where he got the notion that the wheel bolts needed
>>to be "torqued down".  He did so with all the force the shops
>>impact wrench could muster.  A job well done he thought.
>
>I said I use a torque wrench on my lug nuts. That means they get put
>on with a torque of exactly 45 foot-lbs. The reason I, and probably
>most mechanics, use a torque wrench is to AVOID over-tightening lug
>nuts. You don't need special equipment to act like a gorilla.
>
>Do I also have to explain that to tighten the nuts you turn clockwise
>and to loosen them you turn counter-clockwise? Cripes!

My most humble apologies to Mr. Ngai.  In no way did I intend to
imply that he was in error when using his torque wrench as he had
described.  His article simply caused me to recall an incident in
which a tightening procedure was done incorrectly with fatal results.
I posted the 'Sad Story' as a general note of caution to us all.
Also it was pointed out that I was in error when using the word
"torque" (and its derivatives) when referring to a "tightening"
procedure.  I did so incorrectly while capitalizing on the fact that
the two words are frequently used synonymously.  I should have been
more respectful of the net.auto subscribers level of technical discern-
ment.  In the future I will be more careful concerning the use of
'technical' terms.  Oh, by the way Mr. Ngai I appreciate the
lesson in rotational mechanics;  I've been having trouble getting the
lid off my peanutbutter jar.

Chris Villani

aegroup@tekigm.UUCP (Dennis Ward) (11/20/85)

> In article <4660@amdcad.UUCP> phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:
> >In article <1484@vax3.fluke.UUCP> gnosis@fluke.UUCP (Chris Villani) writes:
> >>                ....etc......
> >
> >Do I also have to explain that to tighten the nuts you turn clockwise
> >and to loosen them you turn counter-clockwise? Cripes!
>
>                      .....et.al.....
>               ..... Oh, by the way Mr. Ngai I appreciate the
> lesson in rotational mechanics;  I've been having trouble getting the
> lid off my peanutbutter jar.
>
> Chris Villani

 I should hate to have either of you work on our cars.  We have one car (a 1981
 Renault 18i) that has no nuts, just four bolts per wheel that, yes, tighten
 clockwise and loosen ccw; another car (a 1984 Renault Encore) that has four
 nuts per wheel which tighten cw and loosen ccw; however, our third car (a 1966
 Dodge Coronet) has five nuts per wheel that:  tighten cw and loosen ccw -- on
 the right side or passenger side, and tighten ccw and loosen cw -- on the left
 or driver side.  I do not know how many other makes of cars do this, but most
 Chrysler products (thru at least the 70's) had left hand threaded studs and
 nuts on the left hand of the car (driver side) and right hand threaded studs
 and nuts on the right hand of the car (passenger side).

 I have heard that Chrysler was not the only car maker to do this -- does
 anyone out there know who else did (does) this?  From experience, I usually
 have to tell anyone working on the Dodge about this, as I have had several
 "mechanics" immediately try to remove the left hand nuts ccw and wonder why it
 does not work.  Luckily, so far, no one has stripped any of the studs.

 Renault:  Volkswagen with a French accent and sex.  (Compare engine
 compartments -- German efficiency vs French romanticism at its best.)

toma@tekchips.UUCP (Tom Almy) (11/21/85)

In article <624@tekigm.UUCP> aegroup@tekigm.UUCP (Dennis Ward) writes:

> ...  We have one car (a 1981
> Renault 18i) that has no nuts, just four bolts per wheel that, yes, tighten
> clockwise and loosen ccw; another car (a 1984 Renault Encore) that has four
> nuts per wheel which tighten cw and loosen ccw; however, our third car (a 1966
> Dodge Coronet) has five nuts per wheel that:  tighten cw and loosen ccw -- on
> the right side or passenger side, and tighten ccw and loosen cw -- on the left
> or driver side.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Renault:  Volkswagen with a French accent and sex.  (Compare engine
> compartments -- German efficiency vs French romanticism at its best.)
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yet another alternative: my Volkswagen Vanagon has 5 *bolts* per wheel on the
front wheels, and 5 *nuts* per wheel on the back wheels.  They all tighten
clockwise and loosen ccw.

Tom Almy

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (11/23/85)

In article <624@tekigm.UUCP> aegroup@tekigm.UUCP (Dennis Ward) writes:
>> In article <4660@amdcad.UUCP> phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:
>> >Do I also have to explain that to tighten the nuts you turn clockwise
>> >and to loosen them you turn counter-clockwise? Cripes!
>
> I should hate to have either of you work on our cars.

I don't know if you deliberately left out the way we got here or
started reading in the middle. We were talking about Honda Civic brake
rotors and why so many of them seem to get warped. I advanced the
theory that they can be warped by an over zealous tightening of the
wheel lug nuts, noting that I had experienced such problems on my
Honda Civic. It was (and is) my first car so I have done a lot of
learning on it. After I discovered torque wrenches and changed my
brake rotors, I have not had any more problems with rotor warping. My
new rotors have had 4 years of use on them, with some miles going
downhill in the Yosemite National Park area. On one grade the brakes
got so hot they started losing their effectiveness. (not downshifting
on a down grade could be the subject of another lesson in how not to
use your car) Despite this overheating, my rotors have remained
unwarped. So I suggested others consider this cause of warping.

I WAS NOT TALKING ABOUT YOUR CAR. No doubt the next time I talk about
my car's sparkplugs some smart alec like you will whine that his
diesel doesn't have any. Try to restrain yourself.
--
 Raise snails for fun and profit! Race them for amusement! Then eat the losers!

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749-5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com