[comp.sys.next] Highlights of Vancouver BC NeXT Users Group Meeting, Jan. 30, 1991

lclarke@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Lawrence Clarke) (02/01/91)

On January 30,  1991, the Vancouver BC NeXT User's Group held their monthly
meeting at the Granville Island Hotel.

Following is a summary of highlights of the meeting:

     - NeXT  will be selling their machines locally through  Advantage
       Computers (tel: 604 685-NeXT).

     - NeXTstations  with Hard Drives in sizes 105  mb and 200  mb are
       currently being shipped

     - colour  NeXTstations  are  due to be shipped on the  15th.   of
       February, 1991

     - NeXT dimension boards will probably ship sometime between April
       and December,  1991    :-)    (There are problems with the  "C-
       Cube" chip and the JPEG compression.)

     - There  was a demonstration on how to   install   external  SCSI
       drives.  Apparently the SCSI drive number in the NeXTstation is
       1, (not 0 as it is in the cube)  as this allows for an external
       SCSI  drive addressed as device 0 to be used as the boot  disk.
       The external drive connected to the NeXTstation during the demo
       was  set  to  device 2 in order to use it as  the  second  hard
       drive.    (There  was  some  discussion  as  to  the  need  for
       termination on MAC external drives.)

     - Lionel Tolan from SFU stated he has available 5 hours of video-
       tape  and some software to demonstrate the capabilities of  the
       NeXT system

     - There  was mention of an undocumented command <scsimodes>  that
       is apparently used to partition Hard Drives.

     - There  was  some discussion about Optical Drives.   Concern was
       expressed  by users with optical drives only,  that it appeared
       NeXT  was  dropping  optical drive support,   as  NeXTstep  2.0
       software  does not support two optical drives,  and Improv  and
       Mathematica will only be shipped on floppy disks.

     - The  DB  Toolkit  (demonstrated by S.  Jobs in  the  Next  demo
       videotape)  is currently under development by NeXT,  and is not
       yet shipping.

     - There  is a new issue of  "RMnug"  newsletter  on  the  archive
       sites.

     - The  NeXtView newletter  is looking for articles for  the  next
       issue of their publication.

     - The  FrameMaker update application does not work with  releases
       prior to 2.0b: 2.0b will be converted to 2.0d but there will be
       problems  with printing (extremely slow).   The local NeXT  rep
       should be consulted for an update to 2.0d.

     - Version  2.1  of the  NeXTstep  operating system  will  include
       routines for the NeXTdimension board, but no bug fixes.

     - One of the users mentioned he had a 105mb NeXTstation for sale.

     - A Kanji version of NeXTstep is available in Japan.  It will not
       be available in North America, but can be specially ordered.

     - A  Kanji Postscript  font is available  for documents.   (Menus
       remain in English.)

     - The  Dove  faxmodem is now  available;   Abaton's  faxmodem  is
       expected to be shipping within two weeks.

     - UNIX  "man" pages are not available on the 105  mb NeXTstation,
       but are available from some of the archive sites.

     - Contrary to information in "InfoWorld" magazine, IBM *is* going
       with  NeXTstep  and  Microsoft  has  officially  dropped   OS/2
       development.

     - Lotus  Improv  is  expected  to  ship within  two  weeks,   and
       Mathematica is expected to ship sometime in February.

     - The  NeXT offices for Vancouver,  BC will be moving from  their
       Granville Island location to the Park Place tower, 13th. floor.
       (The telephone numbers remain the same.)

     - The next  meeting of the User's Group will be held at Advantage
       Computers on the 27th.  of February, 1991, at 7:00 p.m.  (Their
       address is 4664 Lougheed Highway, Suite 148, Burnbaby, B.C.)

/==============================================================\
| lclarke@questor.wimsey.bc.ca  |  c/o TRIUMF Operations       |
| larry@triumfcl.bitnet         |  University of B.C. Canada   |
| Compuserve: 70441,1776        |  4004 Wesbrook Mall          |
| Phone: +1 604 275-5902        |  Vancouver, British Columbia |
| FAX:   +1 604 275-4184        |  Canada  V6T 2A3             |
\==============================================================/

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (02/01/91)

In article <0iLNw1w164w@questor.wimsey.bc.ca> lclarke@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Lawrence Clarke) writes:

	- Contrary to information in "InfoWorld" magazine, IBM *is* going
	  with  NeXTstep  and  Microsoft  has  officially  dropped   OS/2
	  development.

This is the second time that I have heard this?  Is MS dropping OS/2
entirely?  As in, they will never write another line of OS/2 code?

-Mike

lacsap@plethora.media.mit.edu (Pascal Chesnais) (02/01/91)

In article Re: Highlights of Vancouver BC NeXT Users Group Meeting, Jan. 30, 1991
 bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett)
of : Northern Illinois University writes:
In article <0iLNw1w164w@questor.wimsey.bc.ca> lclarke@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Lawrence Clarke) writes:
>On January 30,  1991, the Vancouver BC NeXT User's Group held their monthly
>meeting at the Granville Island Hotel.
>
>Following is a summary of highlights of the meeting:
>
>     [text deleted --SJB]
>
>     - There  was  some discussion about Optical Drives.   Concern was
>       expressed  by users with optical drives only,  that it appeared
>       NeXT  was  dropping  optical drive support,   as  NeXTstep  2.0
>       software  does not support two optical drives,  and Improv  and

     WHAT?????  Do you mean rel. 2.0 has /dev/{r,}od0a but not
/dev/{r,}od1a?  If so, then how are people with the same very common
configuration that I have ('030 w/OD and 40MB magnetic) supposed to
back up their systems?
---

rod{0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}a  does not refer to the _physical_ optical drives,
but rather the optical disk _volumes_ (the physical disk you remove
from the drive)

look at man od(4) if you have the unix man pages on line.  This concept of
volumes is extended to scsi disk drives and floppy drives in 2.0

How many people run a _two_ optical _drive_ system?  That precludes
putting an internal swap disk, and unless running an external scsi drive
would be slow.

pasc

news@NeXT.COM (news) (02/03/91)

(Lawrence Clarke) writes:
>      - The  FrameMaker update application does not work with  releases
>        prior to 2.0b: 2.0b will be converted to 2.0d but there will be
>        problems  with printing (extremely slow).   The local NeXT  rep
>        should be consulted for an update to 2.0d.

Actually, 2.0d is quite fast.  It was 2.0b that had slow printing.

In article <0iLNw1w164w@questor.wimsey.bc.ca>
	lclarke@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Lawrence Clarke) writes:
>     - A Kanji version of NeXTstep is available in Japan.  It will not
>       be available in North America, but can be specially ordered.

After both Sun and NeXT have screwed us by "improving" their
keyboard designs (how rendering them virtually unusable is an
improvement is beyond me), the marketroids are at it again.  San
Francisco has a *huge* Asian population--and they're more than
proportionally represented here.  With the recent decision to
change from Sony to Philips monitors, I think I now have *three*
good reasons to seriously consider Sony NEWS workstations in our
future plans.  So much for NeXT being the "perfect" workstation
for Higher Education.

>     - A  Kanji Postscript  font is available  for documents.   (Menus
>       remain in English.)

I want it!  I want it!  I want it!

					-=EPS=-