[comp.sys.next] NeXTStep 2.0 and NCSA Telnet.

PVJQC@CUNYVM.BITNET (02/01/91)

 HI PEOPLE,
 THIS IS A POSTING ON BEHALF OF MARK TARDIVEAU. HE HAS RESPONDED
TO MY EARLIER POSTING REGARDING  NCSA TELNET (2.2D) WITH NEXT RELEASE 2.0.
 --Prashant
------
HIS MESSAGE FOLLOWS...
The new telnetd in NextStep 2.0 comes from 4.3-Reno, and seems to be,
shall we say, too sophisticated for old programs like NCSA Telnet
(and just about every other telnet in the known universe). To fix the
problem, you have to replace the new telnetd with the old one from
1.0. This was pointed out to me by Scott Hess (Thanks, Scott !).

Max Tardiveau
Department of Computer Science
University of St.Thomas
St.Paul, MN  55105
Internet : m9tardiv@cs.stthomas.edu
"All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."

: root nextserv  1/31/91
:Max Tardiveau       PVJQC@cunyvm.cuny.e  1/31/91 NextStep 2.0 and NCSA Telnet

louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (02/01/91)

>The new telnetd in NextStep 2.0 comes from 4.3-Reno, and seems to be,
>shall we say, too sophisticated for old programs like NCSA Telnet
>(and just about every other telnet in the known universe). To fix the
>problem, you have to replace the new telnetd with the old one from
>1.0.

It seems to me that the way to "fix" this problem is to fix the problem,
and not the symptom.  Your problem is NCSA telnet, and not the telnet
daemon on the NeXT.

Replacing the telnetd on the NeXT makes it possibe to operate with your
NeXT, but you're still going to be stuck if you try to connect to any
other machine that provokes the NCSA telnet bug.

louie

heal@mrcnext.uiuc.edu (Loren E. Heal) (02/02/91)

The problem is, of course, that the old telnetd had a well-known
Berkeley-derived BUG.  NCSA's code up through 2.2 depended on
that bug; I understand that the problem is fixed in NCSA Telnet
2.3.  I'm not sure about the fixedness, though.

Clarkson University Telnet v2.2 works with the NeXT 2.0 telnetd.
It's available from omnigate.clarkson.edu (128.153.4.2) via anon-ftp.
NCSA Telnet 2.3beta is available at ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu.
: Loren E. Heal : leheal@uiuc.edu (from *net, you figure it out)       :
:(Not a spokesman for the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)  :
:(I may work there, but I still own my own mind!)                      :

In article <91031.224509PVJQC@CUNYVM.BITNET> PVJQC@CUNYVM.BITNET writes:
>The new telnetd in NextStep 2.0 comes from 4.3-Reno, and seems to be,
>shall we say, too sophisticated for old programs like NCSA Telnet
>(and just about every other telnet in the known universe).

WRONG.  The problem is unique to the IBM PC (you actually have an
early Clarkson release, not an NCSA release).  It's a bug which
is not present in the current Clarkson or NCSA releases--or any
other implementation or PC telnet I've tried, nor does it affect
NCSA Telnet for the Macintosh or its derivatives.

>                                                           To fix the
>problem, you have to replace the new telnetd with the old one from
>1.0.

That one is broken, broken, broken.  That's why we flushed it
as soon as we could.

I'm aware of *five* public releases of BSD telnetd newer than
what was shipped with 1.0:

[NeXT 1.0]	5/12/86
4.3-tahoe(?)	2/23/89
telnet.90.03.01	3/ 1/90
telnet.90.06.28	6/28/90 <- your telnet broke here
4.3-reno 	6/30/90
telnet.90.09.14	9/14/90

BTW, I *don't* recommend the 90.09.14 telnetd, just its telnet.

					-=EPS=-