[comp.sys.next] NeXT as a terminal

yu@math.harvard.edu (Jiu-Kang Yu) (01/18/91)

Thanks in advance to any one to help me with this problem.

I used to use a MAC and Hayes 2400 buad modem and MacTerminal software
to connect to the computer system in our department and use the MAC
as a terminal.  I would like to do the same on my NeXTstation, which
I got yesterday.  But I can not figure out what to do.  Can I do it
by the system software installed on 105 MB hard disk only?

Jiu-Kang Yu
yu@harvard.math.edu
yu@huma1.bitnet

iwelch@agsm.ucla.edu (Ivo Welch) (02/05/91)

In article <5372@husc6.harvard.edu> yu@math.harvard.edu (Jiu-Kang Yu) writes:
>I used to use a MAC and Hayes 2400 buad modem and MacTerminal software
>to connect to the computer system in our department and use the MAC
>as a terminal.  I would like to do the same on my NeXTstation, which
>I got yesterday.  But I can not figure out what to do.  Can I do it
>by the system software installed on 105 MB hard disk only?
>
>Jiu-Kang Yu
>yu@harvard.math.edu
>yu@huma1.bitnet

Since communication  questions are often  asked, let  me try to reply:
Yes,  it  should be  possible.

Unix provides tip, which  supports serial-port-outgoing communication.
Unfortunately, tip  is rather user-unfriendly, so try  to get a binary
copy of Kermit (roughly 228KB).  Kermit is much  more streightforward,
user-friendly, AND has very good (binary)  file-transfer capabilities.
Kermit should be available, e.g., at  the  various NeXT sites  such as
nova.cc.purdue.edu and cs.orst.edu.

As  terminal emulator, you can use  NeXT's supplied Terminal  program.
That is, if  you start Kermit  or tip  in a window, you  automatically
have VT100 emulation.

Finally, you need  to be sure  that  your serial port  is not  set for
dialin (in Unix,  ports can  be either set  for dialin or dialout, but
not both  at the same  time).  You should  read  the  appropriate NeXT
documentation. As device through which you dial out (both using Kermit
or tip), use /dev/cua for serial port a,  and /dev/cub for serial port
b.

/ivo welch
ivo@next.agsm.ucla.edu

PS: I don't use serial-port dialout anymore. Most of the above is from
memory, so don't ask me more specific questions.