[comp.sys.next] 2.0 Software Problems

iwelch@agsm.ucla.edu (Ivo Welch) (02/02/91)

Here are some problems with the 2.0 software (full-distribution, running on my
upgrade-040 board) that I have run into:

***		      Librarian
    ***	A lot of programs are no longer indexed on-line. That is
	a major step back, in my opinion. For example, I can't
	find information for BuildDOS or the programs in Demo
   	(what is /LocalDeveloper/Demos/crop [does it just log out]) ?
    ***	There are problems indexing such data as the frame-maker
	documentation, and/or the KJV bible.
	For example, here is what I get:
	_textError: 102, _directoryApply: cannot stat '/usr/lib/indexing/frame-ascii'
	_textError: 102, directoryApply: cannot stat '//Apps'
	_textError: 102, directoryApply: cannot stat '/Users/ivo/Unix/bin'
	_textError: 102, directoryApply: cannot stat '/Users/ivo/Apps'
	ixError: 9011, _btreeFileOpenFileixError: 9011, _btreeFileOpenFileixError: 9011, _btreeFileOpenFile
    ***	Why is ~/library not invisible as ~/.Library?

***		         Mail
    ***	killing the Mail application remotely leaves the lockfile around.

***		         Unix
    ***	su no longer reads /.cshrc and /.login scripts.
    ***	I got a read error on /usr/adm/lastlog. It exists, though.
	Also, I wonder if Stuart sometimes leaves wrong information
	for finger to pick up as to who is logged in.
    ***	Is it my imagination, or did memstat disappear?

	            Programs no longer working
    ***	fep (adds emacs-style commands as a frontend to plain ASCII
	applications) does not work anymore. Is there a substitute?
    ***	The two performance measure programs (Monitor/NLoad) no longer
	compile and/or run  under 2.0.
    ***	Emacs, of course.

/ivo welch
ivo@next.agsm.ucla.edu

izumi@fugitive.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) (02/02/91)

In article <799@mara.cognet.ucla.edu>
	iwelch@agsm.ucla.edu (Ivo Welch) writes:
> ***	The two performance measure programs (Monitor/NLoad) no longer
>	compile and/or run  under 2.0.

I don't know about NLoad, but if I remember correctly, you can
make Monitor to work by replacing the occurence of "vmunix"
in the source code to "mach".
It was all I have to do.

Izumi Ohzawa             [ $@Bg_78^=;(J ]
USMail: University of California, 360 Minor Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720
Telephone: (415) 642-6440             Fax:  (415) 642-3323
Internet: izumi@violet.berkeley.edu   NeXTmail: izumi@pinoko.berkeley.edu

lane@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Christopher Lane) (02/05/91)

In <799@mara.cognet.ucla.edu>, iwelch@agsm.ucla.edu writes:
>Here are some problems with the 2.0 software (full-distribution, running
>on my upgrade-040 board) that I have run into:
>    ***	The two performance measure programs (Monitor/NLoad) no longer
>	compile and/or run  under 2.0.

There is a working NLoad for 2.0 but I'm still sorting through a number of
changes that Rex Pruess (rpruess@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu) provided to allow it to
monitor other hosts (it had a similar capability back in the 0.8 days).
Hopefully it will surface again in a few weeks in an improved form.

- Christopher

-------

iwelch@agsm.ucla.edu (Ivo Welch) (02/05/91)

>    ***	There are problems indexing such data as the frame-maker
>	documentation, and/or the KJV bible.

Apparently, the January NeXTanswers talk about this problem.

>    ***	su no longer reads /.cshrc and /.login scripts.

My mistake. su only read /.cshrc if it is owned by root. I  had /.cshrc set up
as a pointer to another accounts' .cshrc. Reasonable security precaution...

/ivo welch
ivo@next.agsm.ucla.edu

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (02/05/91)

In article <1991Feb2.041002.26625@agate.berkeley.edu> izumi@fugitive.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) writes:
>In article <799@mara.cognet.ucla.edu>
>	iwelch@agsm.ucla.edu (Ivo Welch) writes:
>> ***	The two performance measure programs (Monitor/NLoad) no longer
>>	compile and/or run  under 2.0.
>I don't know about NLoad, but if I remember correctly, you can
>make Monitor to work by replacing the occurence of "vmunix"
>in the source code to "mach".
>It was all I have to do.

Even quicker is to simply make a (symbolic) link to sdmach with
% su
# cd /
# ln -s sdmach vmunix

This works on systems that boot off the SCSI disk at least, since
$BOOTFILE then points to sdmach (mach is linked to $BOOTFILE).
I use symbolic links when I'm messing around in the parts of the file
system that are not under /User, /usr/local, /Local* or /Mount*
but that is a question of taste. A regular hard link should work as
well.

Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."   G.B. Shaw   |  rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (02/05/91)

>In article <799@mara.cognet.ucla.edu> iwelch@agsm.ucla.edu (Ivo Welch) writes:
>>Here are some problems with the 2.0 software (full-distribution, running on my
>>***		         Unix
>>    ***	su no longer reads /.cshrc and /.login scripts.
>
>Works fine for me.
>
>>	Also, I wonder if Stuart sometimes leaves wrong information
>>	for finger to pick up as to who is logged in.

I take it that you use Stuart. If so, then look at the preferences.
You have to check the "Shell reads .login file" option, if you want
that this actually happens. Also you might need to su - to perform a
full login, look at the man page for su for this.