[comp.sys.next] Serial port extender?

Joe.Keenan@p1.f401.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Keenan) (01/22/91)

A couple of weeks ago, someone posted a note about a product their company was
working on.  It's a SCSI device that provides additional serial ports (and a
parallel port, I think).

Can whoever that was please post or mail me a description of the product, with
a contact name and phone number.  I would appreciate it greatly.

jpk@blkcat.fidonet.org

--

        Joe Keenan, Joe.Keenan@p1.f401.n109.z1.fidonet.org
      via The Black Cat's Shack's FidoNet<->Usenet Gateway

ifjrs@acad3.alaska.edu (STANNARD JOHN R) (02/03/91)

In article <3135.279BABD7@blkcat.fidonet.org>, Joe.Keenan@p1.f401.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Keenan) writes...

>A couple of weeks ago, someone posted a note about a product their company was
>working on.  It's a SCSI device that provides additional serial ports (and a
>parallel port, I think).
>
>Can whoever that was please post or mail me a description of the product, with
>a contact name and phone number.  I would appreciate it greatly.
>
>jpk@blkcat.fidonet.org
>

>--
>
>        Joe Keenan, Joe.Keenan@p1.f401.n109.z1.fidonet.org
>      via The Black Cat's Shack's FidoNet<->Usenet Gateway
>          blkcat.fidonet.org   and   Fidonet 1:109/401

Me too!  I'm interested in running Amateur Packet Radio using my
NeXT Cube, and could use minny, minny serial ports.  : )

John

--

John Stannard
KL7JL@KL7JL	IFJRS@ACAD3.FAI.ALASKA.EDU	BITNET: IFJRS@ALASKA

--

jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Joseph Chin) (02/03/91)

Serial port extender vendor:

Uninet
1-800-433-6784
(714)546-1100
(714)546-3726 (fax)
contact: Neil Gorsuch

Hope that helps ...

:-) Joe
jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca

ps. I don't work for Uninet ... just good at writing down things ...

 * "Kill the body and the head will die" (Hunter S. Thompson) *
 *    NeXT --> The ultimate electronic publishing platform!   *
 ********** Joseph Chin --> jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca *********

neil@uninet.cpd.com (Neil Gorsuch) (02/05/91)

In article <1991Feb3.011613.9122@ims.alaska.edu> ifjrs@acad3.alaska.edu writes:
>In article <3135.279BABD7@blkcat.fidonet.org>, Joe.Keenan@p1.f401.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Keenan) writes...
>>A couple of weeks ago, someone posted a note about a product their company was
>>working on.  It's a SCSI device that provides additional serial ports (and a
>>parallel port, I think).
>>Can whoever that was please post or mail me a description of the product, with
>>a contact name and phone number.  I would appreciate it greatly.
>>jpk@blkcat.fidonet.org
>Me too!  I'm interested in running Amateur Packet Radio using my
>NeXT Cube, and could use minny, minny serial ports.  : )

Briefly ( 8-), the Uninet SLAT provides extra asynchronous serial and
Centronics parallel ports via the SCSI bus for workstations.  It
doesn't add any new drivers, does not require kernel rebuilding, is a
nice scsi peripheral as fasr as co-existing with other scsi
peripherals, provides arbitrary serial speeds up to about 150 K baud,
provides full dial-in/dial-out support for modems, has full hardware
RTS/CTS and xon/xoff handshanking.  The SLAT has already been working
on most other workstations for quite a while, and a NeXT port is now
in progress and should be finished very quickly.  For pricing and
availability details, contact marketing at (800)433-6784 or
(714)546-1100 or via fax at (714)546-3726.  For technical questions,
contact technical support (or me if you really have to 8-), at those
same numbers.
--
Neil Gorsuch        INTERNET: neil@cpd.com          UUCP: uunet!zardoz!neil
MAIL: 1209 E. Warner, Santa Ana, CA, USA, 92705     PHONE: +1 714 546 1100

In article <1991Feb4.225018.2698@zardoz.cpd.com>
	neil@uninet.cpd.com (Neil Gorsuch) writes:
>Briefly ( 8-), the Uninet SLAT provides extra asynchronous serial and
>Centronics parallel ports via the SCSI bus for workstations.  It
>doesn't add any new drivers, does not require kernel rebuilding, is a
                              ^^^ *nothing* on the NeXT does ^^^
>nice scsi peripheral as fasr as co-existing with other scsi
>peripherals, provides arbitrary serial speeds up to about 150 K baud,
>provides full dial-in/dial-out support for modems, has full hardware
>RTS/CTS and xon/xoff handshanking.

I'd like to see a product "just like yours" *except*
	- comes with a kernel-loadable driver implementing a UNIX
	  character device
	- doesn't require a user-mode daemon task
	- doesn't usurp *any* ptys
	- is available in a NeXTbus (non-SCSI) version for the
	  cube

BTW, if you're priced over, say, $200 per serial port, you're
definitely not competitive with Ethernet terminal servers.

					-=EPS=-