[comp.sys.next] MS-DOS disks

ja2f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jinmo Ahn) (01/30/91)

    I can't get my new nextstation to read ms-dos disks.  I have tried
both 1.44 meg and 720k disks.  Even after formatting the disk with
BuildDOS application, Workspace gives  "Floppy disk is unreadble". Is my
drive defective?

Jim.

Carnegie Mellon University
ja2f+@andrew.cmu.edu
jim@stealth.andrew.cmu.edu (NeXT)

ja2f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jinmo Ahn) (01/31/91)

tgingric@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Tyler S Gingrich) (01/31/91)

In article <AbdWRzy00Uh_84kZkn@andrew.cmu.edu> ja2f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jinmo Ahn) writes:

>    I can't get my new nextstation to read ms-dos disks.  I have tried
>both 1.44 meg and 720k disks.  Even after formatting the disk with
>BuildDOS application, Workspace gives  "Floppy disk is unreadble". Is my
>drive defective?

Possibly.  The other possibility is your 'software setup' might be incorrect.
I don't know (offhand) what might be wrong, but here is what my Station does:

  1) Insert 1.44Mb Dos Floppy.  Diskette Icon appears in viewer with 'DOS'
     label.  Double-clicking on it brings up the directory in the viewer.  I
     am able to edit text files, etc.  Later this week I will test Improv and
     Word Perfect to see if they'll properly import files created by their
     ms-dos counterparts.

  2) Insert 720Kb dos floppy.  Same as #1.

  3) Insert 'unreadble' flopply and the Station offers me the init panel.

Tyler

PS: Does your station correctly format/read/write unix diskettes??

ja2f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jinmo Ahn) (02/01/91)

    Recently, I posted a message concerning the difficulty in reading
ms-dos disks on the nextstation.
    The problem was not a defective floppy drive as I had suspected.
    When I boot using my internal 105M swap drive in place of the
external Maxtor, the dos disks can be read.  Now, when I reboot with the
external drive, the those same disks cannot even be recognized.  But the
funny twist is that NeXT disks still can be read.
    The INTERNAL 105M has always been used as a swapdrive, so all the
files are still in the 'factory fresh state'.  The external Maxtor on
the other hand has been through a lot of changes.  What changes could I
have made  to make this happen?? Help#@!

louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (02/05/91)

In article <MbeEK_u00UhBQ55UVB@andrew.cmu.edu> ja2f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jinmo Ahn) writes:
>    When I boot using my internal 105M swap drive in place of the
>external Maxtor, the dos disks can be read.  Now, when I reboot with the
>external drive, the those same disks cannot even be recognized.

This is a long shot, but do you have the MS-DOS filesystem handler available
on the external disk that you boot from?  You should have a directory called

	/usr/filesystems/DOS.fs

with these files in it:

DOS.fs.tiff     DOS.name        DOS.openfs.tiff   DOS.util   dosfs_reloc

louie