[comp.sys.next] Keyboard mappings

carlton@aldebaran (Mike Carlton) (02/05/91)

In article <130149@gore.com> jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) writes:
>Are keyboard mappings documented anywhere?  I'm talking about things like
>"/NextLibrary/Keyboards/Italian.keymapping".  How are they created, and how
>are they used?  Can one change keymappings on the fly (while switching
>languages in a word processor, for example), or is the global Preferences
>application the only way to change them?
>
>Jacob
>--
>Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob

Well, they're created by the Keyboard application (it's on the extended
release, but not the base release).  However, I found Keyboard to be
pretty useless for what I wanted to do.

I would like to assign the pipe '|' to shift-delete (bringing it on the main
keyboard where it belongs).  Keyboard won't let me do it.  It says that
Esc and Delete are "FF Not Defined" and shift-Esc and shift-Delete are
"00 Not Defined".

Well, obviously all of these except shift-Delete are defined.  It seems like
I should be able to define shift-Delete as well.  Can anyone tell me how to
do this?  Anyone have the format of the keymappings?  Or do I have to reverse
engineer them?

Thanks and cheers,
mike

Mike Carlton	carlton@cs.berkeley.edu

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) (02/05/91)

To the folks who've written me and posted bout /NextDeveloper/Demos/Keyboard:
thanks for your response, but that's not what I am looking for.  (I should
have said that I knew about Keyboard).

Keyboard is just too limited.  I need to create several keyboard mappings
for Cyrillic typing.  There are at least three common character mappings
for that, and I need to select one at will, and shift back into the English
mapping at will.  So, it's not like creating and using a Dvorak mapping.
In fact, I don't even see a way to make Keyboard display Cyrillic
characters.

Now, if the source code for Keyboard was provided, then maybe it would be
of some use, but...

So, the original question stands:  Where are key mappings documented?  How
does one switch between them?  (I'm not asking about doing it in
Preferences, I'm asking about how Preferences does it.)

Jacob
--
Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob