[net.auto] Nasty words about the 300ZX

hhc@whuxlm.UUCP (Chefitz Harry H) (11/20/85)

I was flipping through my copy of Rotary Rocket, a magazine put
out by the RX-7 Club of America, when I came across two articles
comparing the new RX-7 with both a Porsche 944 and a Nissan 300ZX.
Of course, I expected biased reoprting, even though the articles
were written by two race car drivers, Rod Millen and Gary
Witzenburg.  But I was surprised to find such strong negative
opinions about the 300ZX.  Consider these comments:

	"The 300ZX isn't in the same class as the 944 and RX-7.
	 Personally, I don't consider it to be a real sports car."
					-Rod Millen

	"Finally, I took two laps in the 300 ZX and got out.  It
	 felt so awkward on the track, I never cared to drive it
	 harder and go for a time.  Thanks anyway."
					-Gary Witzenburg

What about it, 300ZX owners?  Did you shell out all that money
for a cream-puff of a sports car?

				Harry Chefitz
				allegra!whuxlm!hhc

rll9466@wucec2.UUCP (Richard L. Lantz) (11/20/85)

In article <876@whuxlm.UUCP>, hhc@whuxlm.UUCP (Chefitz Harry H) writes:

> 	"The 300ZX isn't in the same class as the 944 and RX-7.
> 	 Personally, I don't consider it to be a real sports car."
> 					-Rod Millen

With the possible exception of the early 240Z, the only opinions I've heard
with regard to Z-cars is that they sometimes had good acceleration, but wallowed
through the corners.  I will emphasize that I do *NOT* speak from experience.

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (11/20/85)

In article <876@whuxlm.UUCP> hhc@whuxlm.UUCP (Chefitz Harry H) writes:

>	"The 300ZX isn't in the same class as the 944 and RX-7.
>	 Personally, I don't consider it to be a real sports car."
>					-Rod Millen

It must be noted that Rod Millen has been racing RX-7's in SCCA
Pro-Rallies for a number of years, so he might be biased somewhat
towards the RX-7, especially since he would be thoroughly familiar
with its on- and off-road behaviour.  This *might* explain why the
RX-7 is in the same class as the 944 and not in 300ZX's class.

Was the article on the old or new RX-7?

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watdcsu!haapanen
I'm all lost in the Supermarket
I can no longer shop happily
I came in here for that special offer
Guaranteed personality				 (c) The Clash, 1979

sja@mhuxl.UUCP (Sam J. Anastasio) (11/21/85)

> 	"The 300ZX isn't in the same class as the 944 and RX-7.
> 	 Personally, I don't consider it to be a real sports car."
> 					-Rod Millen
>
> 	"Finally, I took two laps in the 300 ZX and got out.  It
> 	 felt so awkward on the track, I never cared to drive it
> 	 harder and go for a time.  Thanks anyway."
> 					-Gary Witzenburg

Yes I agree completely, these comments are typical of what many of my friends
who own 300ZX's have to say.  They all agree that the car was bought for its
looks, goodies, and sex appeal.  The car has long ago (ala 240 days) lost its
"sports car" image.
Mind you, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, as long as it is under-
stood.  Nissan has decided to go for that market and I'm sure they were well
aware of what they were doing.
There is a need for both markets.

rsy@iwu1d.UUCP (Robert S. Yen) (11/21/85)

In article <876@whuxlm.UUCP> hhc@whuxlm.UUCP (Chefitz Harry H) writes:

>I was flipping through my copy of Rotary Rocket, a magazine put
>out by the RX-7 Club of America, when I came across two articles
>comparing the new RX-7 with both a Porsche 944 and a Nissan 300ZX.
>Of course, I expected biased reoprting, even though the articles
>were written by two race car drivers, Rod Millen and Gary
>Witzenburg.  But I was surprised to find such strong negative
>opinions about the 300ZX.  Consider these comments:
>
>	"The 300ZX isn't in the same class as the 944 and RX-7.
>	 Personally, I don't consider it to be a real sports car."
>					-Rod Millen
>
>	"Finally, I took two laps in the 300 ZX and got out.  It
>	 felt so awkward on the track, I never cared to drive it
>	 harder and go for a time.  Thanks anyway."
>					-Gary Witzenburg
>
>What about it, 300ZX owners?  Did you shell out all that money
>for a cream-puff of a sports car?
>
>				Harry Chefitz
>				allegra!whuxlm!hhc

	You may have expected biased reporting because the articles
	were written by two race car drivers, but I happen to know
	that Rod Millen is the guy who does the driving for Mazda on
	their commercials -- not exactly biased...  As to the other
	driver, from the collection of cars tested and the fact that
	Rod Millen was there, it is quite possible that both these
	drivers were interviewed at the unveilling of the "new and
	improved" RX-7 held by Mazda.

	If you'd like a more objective view, I'd suggest two different
	articles:  1) August '84 Road & Track (gotta luv that GTO!)
	which has "track test results" from running eight cars at Willow
	Springs International Raceway.  The 300ZX Turbo came in second
	in overall lap time (the 'vette was first) with the 944 finishing
	5th and the RX-7 GSL-SE coming in second from last (just edging
	out the Daytona Turbo Z in 8th place).  And  2) October '85
	Motor Trend which has the "Z Acid Test: 300ZX Owner Survey" which
	boiled down to one figure: "...92.2% of our survey respondents
	said they'd buy another Z-car when time came to muster the present
	mount out of service.  In the long run, it's pretty tough to
	find much fault with that kind of owner sentiment."

	I had a choice (in May '84) between a 300ZX Turbo, a loaded RX-7
	GSL-SE and a 944.  My final decision was based on the fact that
	the RX-7 was too expensive for too little, the Turbo ZX too expensive
	for quite a bit more and the 944 just plain too expensive.  I finally
	ended up with an '84 Turbo ZX that runs great and has no problem
	with the RX-7's and 944's (non-turbo, of course) of the world.
	Any yes, I have driven the new RX-7 coming away with the impressions:
	1) why didn't they have an original body design (I like the old
	GSL-SE bodys better) and 2) yes it's got good performance (better
	than a normally-aspirated ZX and the old RX-7), but I can't wait to
	drive the Turbo in the Spring of next year.

	All in all, I'd have to say, "Yes indeed, the 300ZX is a REAL SPORTS
	CAR."

			Robert S Yen		ihnp4!iwu1d!rsy
			AT&T-IS Labs		Naperville, IL.
--
			Robert S Yen		ihnp4!iwu1d!rsy
			AT&T-IS Labs		Naperville, IL.

burk@uwvax.UUCP (Bill Burk) (11/22/85)

> In article <876@whuxlm.UUCP>, hhc@whuxlm.UUCP (Chefitz Harry H) writes:
> >
> > 	"The 300ZX isn't in the same class as the 944 and RX-7.
> > 	 Personally, I don't consider it to be a real sports car."
> > 					-Rod Millen
>
> With the possible exception of the early 240Z, the only opinions I've heard
> with regard to Z-cars is that they sometimes had good acceleration, but wallowed
> through the corners.  I will emphasize that I do *NOT* speak from experience.

An ex-girlfriend of mine had a 240Z .... I think that the word _sometimes_
should be underlined about a hundred times.  The car had good acceleration
once every year and a half .... unless you consider 25 second 1/4 miles
good!!!  Of course, the problem could've been that we couldn't keep
the car running long enough to decently clean out the carbs (dual webers)!!!

-Bill

saltiel@cdstar.UUCP (Jack Saltiel) (11/27/85)

In article <876@whuxlm.UUCP>, hhc@whuxlm.UUCP (Chefitz Harry H) writes:
> Consider these comments:
>
> 	"The 300ZX isn't in the same class as the 944 and RX-7.
> 	 Personally, I don't consider it to be a real sports car."
> 					-Rod Millen
*****He's right, it's not. It has become a slick Japanese Corvette
	imitator that is oriented first towards luxury and last
	towards handling and performance. It's soo bad that this
	comparison is actually an insult to the new Corvettes!

> 	"Finally, I took two laps in the 300 ZX and got out.  It
> 	 felt so awkward on the track, I never cared to drive it
> 	 harder and go for a time.  Thanks anyway."
> 					-Gary Witzenburg
*****He's 100% correct. I have driven this car on a race track,
	along with many Porsches, Formula Fords, etc... The rear
	end suspension (standard Datsun sedan type) makes that
	car so hard to handle on a race track that I would take
	an old rear engine Porsche *any day*. It so much easier
	to drive that the ZX. This was not true of the older
	240-280Z series. That was a very different car.

--
					Jack Saltiel
					Cambridge Digital Systems

	"Here's to plain speaking and clear understanding."
	"I like talking with a man who likes to talk."