[comp.sys.next] Oberon et al.

weigele@bosun1.informatik.uni-hamburg.de (Martin Weigele) (02/07/91)

A while ago, there were some rumours concerning Oberon
implementations on NeXT. Any more recent information, anyone?

I would also be interested in any other programming languages
with *clean* and *simple* design, such as scheme (together
with Scheme-to-C).

Martin Weigele
FB Informatik
Universitaet Hamburg
Germany

mikel@Apple.COM (Mikel Evins) (02/08/91)

In article <weigele.665919168@bosun1> weigele@bosun1.informatik.uni-hamburg.de (Martin Weigele) writes:
>A while ago, there were some rumours concerning Oberon
>implementations on NeXT. Any more recent information, anyone?

Chuck Lins is still working on his Oberon compiler for the
Mac. He is interested in implementing it on the NeXT as well,
but too busy to work on it right now. The MPW Oberon compiler
works, but still has a few bugs. Chuck is not done with
his optimization stuff, and is right now working on a copying
garbage collector for it. This compiler is an Object Oberon
compiler. Two things keep him from porting it to NeXT right
now: 1) He is not at a good place yet to expand development
beyond the MPW compiler; and 2) He wants to provide very good
support for the NeXT object model, but the type-extension
architecture of Object Oberon is still in flux. Until the
folks at ETH inform him of their final decisions regarding
this issue, Chuck is reluctant to choose an object model
for NeXT that might conflict with the eventual standard.

If you want to see Object Oberon on the NeXT, please write
a message to Chuck saying so. You can reach him at

     lins@apple.com

>I would also be interested in any other programming languages
>with *clean* and *simple* design, such as scheme (together
>with Scheme-to-C).

I am working on a Scheme programming environment for the
NeXT, called Zen. I have been through two implementations
of the evaluator, and four implemnetations of the reader.
After trying several of my own constructions, and a couple
of the freely ftp-able scheme interpreters, I have decided
to build Zen around Scheme-in-one-defun. It is about
the right size, and is well organized and small enough for
me to rebuild it the way I want it, without having to
do all the work myself.

Zen is a subset of standard Scheme with some extensions. It
includes all the core semantics of Scheme, plus a binding
construct for stack-allocating memory (called temp, the
construct requires a side-effect free programming style).

The first implementation is planned to include an interpreter
and copying garbage collector, with primitives for interfacing
with NeXTStep. One extension to Scheme planned for Zen is
a frame data type; this data type will provide the basis
for a prototype-based object system with user-definable
inheritance, and persistence.

As with Chuck, you can write to me if your are interested
in the progress of Zen. I can be reached at

    mikel@apple.com

or at

    balor!mikel@apple.com

Please note that both Chuck and I do other work as our
regular jobs. These are spare time pursuits, so you'll
have to be patient. Neither of us wants to distribute
partly done projects, so it's going to take some time
to get them done.