[comp.sys.next] Digital Librarian and FrameMaker

dcarpent@sjuphil.uucp (D. Carpenter) (02/06/91)

After trying several of the suggested fixes that I received
from people on the net, alas with no success, I finally
checked an obvious resource:  NeXTAnswers for January.
The problem with DL's indexing of Frame files is addressed
in the memo framemaker.610:

Q:  Librarian no longer indexes FrameMaker files properly under 2.0.
How can I fix it?

A:  In NeXTStep 1.0 we included a number of files that Librarian used to
index files of various kinds.  One program was included to convert
Frame's binary format to Ascii. Unfortunately, this was not included on
the 2.0 release (and doesn't yet appear in a FrameMaker release).

To retrieve the necessary file,  first locate something containing the
1.0 distribution. This could be an Optical Disk, or a running system.
From here, you will copy the approriate file from /usr/lib/indexing to
your FrameMaker.app directory.  In order to write to this directory,
you may have to su to root.

For Example, if there was a 1.0 Optical disk mounted on /OpticalDisk,
and the FrameMaker release was located in /LocalApps,  you might do
this:

	localhost> su
	Password:

	localhost# cd /OpticalDisk/usr/lib/indexing
	localhost# cp FrameToAscii /LocalApps/FrameMaker.app/frame-ascii

This method worked in the sense that DL now indexed FrameMaker files.
But there is still something odd going on.  For one thing, indexing
Framemaker files causes the following messages in the console:

ixError: 9011, _btreeFileOpenFileixError: 9011,
_btreeFileOpenFileixError: 9011, _btreeFileOpenFile_textError: 102,
directoryApply: cannot stat '/usr/local/bin'

Does anyone understand this?  Why is it looking for /usr/local/bin?
There is no such directory in either 1.0 or 2.0.

In addition, as I believe someone mentioned already, DL doesn't seem
to want to update indexes.  After adding several files to an already
indexed folder (indexed under 2.0 that is), the DL would not index
the new files unless I deleted the .index already created and re-indexed
the entire folder.  Clearly not the way to go . . .

Can anyone shed light on any of this?  The Digital Librarian is an
important application.  I hate to see it act so strangely.  Is there
anyone at NeXT who could comment?

David Carpenter            dcarpent@sjuphil.UUCP
St. Joseph's University    dcarpent@sjuphil.sju.edu
Philadelphia, PA  19131

news@NeXT.COM (news) (02/08/91)

In article <1991Feb6.050609.24597@sjuphil.uucp> dcarpent@sjuphil.uucp (D.
Carpenter) writes:

> ...This method worked in the sense that DL now indexed FrameMaker files.
> But there is still something odd going on.

It looks like you have a version of FrameMaker that predates 2.0d.  2.0d should
work well with Digital Librarian (there is no charge for the upgrade).

Chris MacAskill
cmac@next.com