[comp.sys.next] Printer project

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (02/08/91)

Hi.  Well, would anybody be interested in modifying the ImageWriter II
iwf driver so that it is acceptable to other printers?  Have some kind of
database of printers...  This would save some people a considerable amount of
money :)

			Thanks, Ralph

Ralph Seguin			gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu
536 South Forest Apt. #915	gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu
Ann Arbor, MI 48104		(313) 662-4805

osborn@cs.utexas.edu (John Howard Osborn) (02/08/91)

In article <> gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes:
>Hi.  Well, would anybody be interested in modifying the ImageWriter II
>iwf driver so that it is acceptable to other printers?  Have some kind of
>database of printers...  This would save some people a considerable amount of
>money :)

I've been thinking about this, myself.  Ideally, we would turn iwf into
a shell that does everything expect for printer-specific commands.
A seperate .c file would contain all the unique information needed for
any specific printer.  (deskjet, imagewriter, epson, etc)
The main shell would be responsibile for interfacing with the DPS system
to get a bitmap and so on.

-
-John H. Osborn
-osborn@cs.utexas.edu