[comp.sys.next] 2.0 Terminal bug?

erickson@kira.egr.msu.edu (Carl Erickson) (02/08/91)

My 2.0 Terminal exhibits bug-like behavior when I
select the Shell menu.  If I use the Shell menu to
create a new window, then leave the Shell menu showing,
the cpu time of Terminal goes up to 30-40% and response
to the keyboard is very slow.  If I deselect the Shell
menu after using it (clicking on Shell again, say) then
all is normal.  This seems to be independent of the number
of windows I've opened, and to what else is happening on
the machine.  It is highly repeatable.  Any body else
notice this problem?

Possibly pertinent facts:
	my shell is /usr/local/bin/bash.
	my default window is 12 point ohlfs, 28x80

Carl Erickson
--
erickson@egr.msu.edu || uunet!frith!erickson || erickson@msuegr.bitnet

smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu (Dr. William V. Smith) (02/08/91)

In 1991Feb7.210147.14760@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu
 erickson@kira.egr.msu.edu (Carl Erickson) writes:
>My 2.0 Terminal exhibits bug-like behavior when I
>select the Shell menu.  If I use the Shell menu to
>create a new window, then leave the Shell menu showing,
>the cpu time of Terminal goes up to 30-40% and response
>to the keyboard is very slow.

Well the cpu time does increase to about 30% (nothing else
running) when I do this, but I don't notice a slowdown
in keyboard response.  When you select another menu,
this load does go away.  But I don't use Terminal,
I use Communicae.
-Bill
--
            __________________Prof. William V. Smith____________________
EMail:  smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu  or  uunet!hamblin.math.byu.edu!smithw

paulk@lotus.com (Paul Kleppner LID-02264) (02/08/91)

As best I can determine, the problem with Terminal is
that it repeatedly enables and disables the Steal Keys
menu item on *every* keystroke when the Shell menu is open.
You can see this clearly if you run Terminal in ShowAllWindows mode,
like this:

	Terminal -NXShowAllWindows

Notice that the Steal Keys menu item flickers on each keystroke.
I believe that all this redisplay is leading to the slowness.

This is a big problem on the 68030, but not really noticible on the 68040.
I've sent in a bug report to NeXT (tracking #12791).  The best thing
for now is just to keep the Shell menu closed.

Paul Kleppner
Lotus