[comp.sys.next] trouble with serial ports

martin@cube.han.de (Martin Ortlepp) (02/06/91)

--

Hi,

after upgraded my cube to 68040 and 2.0 I have problems with the
serial ports. The old board worked fine but the new one doesn't.
According to the documentation I changed my serial cable to support
hardware flow control. Then I edited the /etc/remote entries to
/dev/cufa. But really nothing happened. I tried tip a19200 (this entry
exists in /etc/remote) to check the configuration. Neither my modem
nor the modem of a friend I connected to the cube worked.

The cabling is correct. Maybe the upgrade board is damaged. But before
I send it back I would like to ask if there is anyone who has an
idea.

Thanx,

-- martin

Martin Ortlepp                   EMAIL:
Goettinger Chaussee 162 A               domain: martin@cube.han.de
3000 Hannover 91                        uucp:   martin@cube.UUCP
Germany
Phone: (49) 511 421278                  FidoNet: 2:240/504
Fax: (49) 511 671299

datran2 (02/09/91)

In article <martin.3196@cube.han.de> martin@cube.han.de (Martin Ortlepp) writes:
>--
>
>Hi,
>
>after upgraded my cube to 68040 and 2.0 I have problems with the
>serial ports. The old board worked fine but the new one doesn't.
>According to the documentation I changed my serial cable to support
>hardware flow control. Then I edited the /etc/remote entries to
>/dev/cufa. But really nothing happened. I tried tip a19200 (this entry

Two possibilities here.

1.  Have you purchased or soldered up new cables?  In order to use the
    flow control devices /dev/cufa and /dev/cufb the cable that used
    to work on your 68030 board will no longer work.

2.  Have you changed your modem setup so that the flow control is
    RTS/CTS?  If your modem is not generating the RTS/CTS pair, the
    cube will think that the modem is blocking and "nothing really
    will happen."

Steve.

--
 #  Steve Boker           #  "Badgers, we don't have no stinking badgers"   #